Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Brussels Christmas Market – would you go?
  • Bimbler
    Free Member

A couple of months ago I booked Eurostar and Air BnB for a weekender to Brussels Christmas market this weekend, going with partner and our two children. Given the circumstances would you go?

Pigface
    Free Member

Yes, just keep your wits about you.

saxabar
    Free Member

Just been. It was great! Threat level lowered on Friday (the day of the market).

atlaz
    Free Member

I’d have to drive past about 100 other xmas markets to get to it so no. However if you like it, I wouldn’t let terrorism stop you.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Probably a greater risk of being killed in your own home, but that gets fewer column inches.
    Go.

zanelad
    Free Member

Go. What’s the worst that could happen?

binners

Leave your big black rucksack at home, lose the beard, and you’ll be fine

finbar
    Free Member

Go. What’s the worst that could happen?

You could come home with a load of made-in-China tooled leather, wooden toys and other tat no-one wants?

footflaps

I’m curious to know what wit one would have to use to avoid a surprise terrorist attack in a crowded market?

atlaz
    Free Member

Ninjas are never surprised. Maybe take a ninja along?

birky
    Free Member
    riddoch

Apart from Brussels being a bit meh, Bruges is much nicer and if you are using Eurostar the local train from Brussels doesn’t cost any extra, though that info is about 5 years out of date.

atlaz
    Free Member

“Germans love organised cheer,” says Sebastian Mörtl

Sounds like fun.

TrekEX8
    Free Member

I’d go, but watch out for the drivers, I suspect you’re still more likely to meet your maker that way!

Marge
    Free Member

Writing from Brussels I wouldn’t worry about the terrorist threat any more than you feel worried being in London or any other major EU city….
    Doesn’t bother me in the slightest. You have more chance of dying on the Belgian highways – now that does bother me.

Having said all that, I prefer the German Xmas markets (but don’t tell my neighbours) 🙂

thecaptain
    Free Member

Nah, don’t think I’d bother going to Brussels just for a bit of shopping. But then again, I wouldn’t have booked the trip in the first place. You presumably have different ideas, and that’s fine by me.

willard

Brussels has some very nice Michelin starred places to eat. Maybe ditch the markets and pig out on gourmet food instead.

fasthaggis

Only if it included buying a sack of sprouts.

Imagine the hilarity when you got back.
    ” So, you went all the way to Brussels,and all you bought was a..”

konabunny
    Free Member

Stupid.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I’ve be more worried about Eurostar breaking down. Got stuck on one for hours sat outside Brussels. Though did get a free trip on Eurostar as compensation.

JulianA
    Free Member

konabunny – Member

Stupid.

Not really stupid at all – keeping an eye open for unattended suitcases, rucksacks etc seems very sensible to me (as it would at any time or place)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Brussels Christmas Market – would you go?’ is closed to new replies.