• This topic has 27 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Brushcutter for brambles etc?
  • andyl
    Free Member

Anyone got any experience? Need it for general clearance of brambles, nettles etc for when putting up fencing and the tractor is overkill and sickle is laborious so was thinking brushcutter with a mulching head for the thicker stuff and normal strimmer head for nettles and long grass.

Models I looked at were the Stihl FS40, FS55 and FS56 with ergostart. Quite fancying the latter as I saw it on offer for £270 which is the same as the FS55 normally goes for. Need to check what blades can be fitted.

Other option I saw was the Stihl Kombi so we can get other tools for it but seems an expensive way to go (£200+ for the engine, £100-200 for the tools).

njee20
    Free Member

Honestly thought this said bruschetta.

Iz disappoint.

slowoldman

I hired a petrol one.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I like one of these for brambles:

joshvegas
    Free Member

Get yourself a scythe its the ultimate tool, fast too!

trail_rat
    Free Member

you can keep your scythe for that job…i file that under “gransfors bruks axes”

depending on the length and thickness of said brambles and junk id opt for the pole hedge trimmer with the head tilted back – much quicker and importantly if doing it on a regular basis much less labour intensive than the aforementioned scythe

or if it hasnt quite reached that stage yet – a regular brush cutter with a quad point blade on. keep the revs up and that shits mince – along with your toes.

faceshield and stout boots a must – spraying your face with macerated dog poo is not nice and is more dangerous than you would think.

mines a hitachi job its a bit mince compared to the fs250 i used to use when i was employed to do this.

slackalice
    Free Member

Having done this very recently, Trail rat has it with the hedge trimmer approach and some decent pruning shears.

And then a dose of Grazeon (sp) every so often.

z1ppy

Indeedy, we cleared my back garden, that was a 6ft tall bramble heap, using a rake and hedge cutter. There was a car hidden in one corner, we didn’t know it was there when I bought the house!
    We used the rake to lift the brambles and then cut off the vines/stalks at the base… So I’d hire one of these for a day and do the whole lot (fencing runs) in one swoop…

Though if you have regular use for a strimmer, a hedge cutter head is probably more economical long term.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Sounds like your scythe was blunt and you don’t know how to use it. Which i don’t either it has to be said but i’ve watched someone that does and its fast!

I’ve used a pole trimmer loads great things but if there is a chance of fencing wire in the mix i’d avoid using one.

Depends on the nature of whats required obviously but the guy i warched was clearing a pace of tick brambles knettles and grass every swipe way way faster than i imagined was possible.

andyl
    Free Member

I’ve watched videos of people using scythes and it was impressive but with a currently knackered right arm and hand I need some power assistance! Face shield and suitable leg and hand protection will be worn. Looking at the wide bike handle type to make it easier.

One area of brambles is about 2m deep by 6ft high and 2m wide so a large area. The rest will just be maintenance to trim before putting up temporary electric fence and for getting in to fix stock fence damage.

Cheap option is this Titan set from Screwfix but having had a bad experience with one of their angle grinders (well two of them before I gave up and went Makita) I’d rather go with Stihl or similar. http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttk587gdo-25cc-1-1hp-petrol-landscaping-multi-tool/48423

Local dealer does hitachi too so might see what they’ve got as its not needed for every day use, just hard occasional use.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’d always recommend more japanese brands, kawa, tanaka, echo, over stihl. Stihl are klunky, high vibes and not always the most reliable.

However, on this job I’d go with the hedge trimmer suggestion, especially if you already have one. It’ll get done in a similar time and you’ll have no risk of hidden stones turning into bullets.

5thElefant
    Free Member

2m x 2m is not a large area. I did 30m x 1m in a morning with hand tools (and that’s a small area). It did take a lot of petrol to burn them afterwards though.

andyl
    Free Member

Sorry I meant 20m wide (probably bigger when i go back and look at it)

There is another area about 30m x 3m deep of other tall ‘scrub’ I need to clear and then general going round trimming.

Not got any hedge trimmers. Just an old sickle I found in the shed I normally take round with me to clear little patches but my hand’s not going to take clearing the big areas.

Flapjack
    Free Member

Whatever you use, make sure you check for hedgehogs first as they are will still be in the last throws of hibernation and could well be curled up in leaves etc under the bramble cover! 😀

timber

You said tractor in your post, that would be my choice.
    It’s not overkill, it’s just so much quicker than any of the other options.
    If the orchard tractor is spare we flail old grown in fence lines before replacing them, otherwise we just shove the forks / bucket on the big tractor through them.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

You’ll probably be able to hire a hedge trimmer for £20 for the day from a local hire shop.

sharkbait
    Free Member

What timber said ^. If I had a large area to clear and I could get the tractor in then that would be my first choice over buying more hardware.

Kuco

I have used a blade on a strimmer a lot, use to cut water courses so get anything from grass,brambles,reeds to tree whips. The advantages with a strimmer is done right will smash the bramble up into tiny bits where as a reciprocating blade will cut at the bottom and will require forking up, though when left to dry for a few days makes a great fire 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

Tractor is idea is out for now (soft ground around pond and quite tight around saplings that got damaged last time the tractor was in – we get a guy in with his tractor and he’s not keen after last time). TBh I want something for general maintenance anyway.

What kind of thickness can petrol hedge trimmers put up with? As much as I really want a petrol powered spinning blade I am tending towards a hedge trimmer but not sure how thick they can cut safely.

andyl
    Free Member

crikey, Stihl long reach hedge trimmers are expensive. Will look for other makes and price up the Kombi system.

Failing that the conventional type much use?

djflexure

I got a reconditioned 4 stroke petrol Honda brush cutter off eBay for just under 200 – came with metal and nylon heads. The former went straight through our bramble patch. Still going strong couple of years later.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Failing that the conventional type much use?”

your back wont thank you.

hire one , clear it once then keep on top of it with the strimmer.

andyl
    Free Member

“Failing that the conventional type much use?”

your back wont thank you.

hire one , clear it once then keep on top of it with the strimmer.

I was thinking that…on both counts.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Typical pro trimmers will happily chomp stuff up to the thickness of your thumb.

I had a garden to clear up 2 years ago. 40mx15m of 7ft high brambles, saplings and all sorts. I took my etesia pro56 mower, fired it up to max height and just drove it through the whole garden and cleared it to mulch in about 40 minutes.

The neighbour doffed his hat at me as I left.

I no longer have the white wonder, but would happily do this with a 30″ trimmer in a close domestic setting/windows everywhere. Mulch blades on a strimmer are for opening the throttle and covering yourself head to toe while the shrapnel flies everywhere.

sharkbait
    Free Member

hire one , clear it once then keep on top of it with the strimmer SBK.

This way it’s will be probably be gone completely within a year.

timber

Find a better tractor driver whilst you’re waiting for the ground to dry?

Alternatively, the hooked end shredder blades for brush cutters are amazing.

Also seen the Gurkha dad’s clear brambles at a school by whipping and wrapping them around a stick them cutting them away with their knives.

CountZero

andyl – Member
    Sorry I meant 20m wide (probably bigger when i go back and look at it)

There is another area about 30m x 3m deep of other tall ‘scrub’ I need to clear and then general going round trimming.

Not got any hedge trimmers. Just an old sickle I found in the shed I normally take round with me to clear little patches but my hand’s not going to take clearing the big areas.
    Looks to me like there’s only one possible solution…

andyl
    Free Member

Finally got back to this and ended up with an Echo with the smaller engine and high torque head after popping into my local places. Stihl at our budget just didn’t compare in feel. Realised a lot of what I will be doing routinely is going to be strimming long grass and fresh nettles around bits we can’t graze the sheep, clearing low runs for electric fencing and then knocking down any fresh weed growth they won’t eat during the year. For the one field with lots of brambles at current I will just have to get stuck in with some decent hand tools and the metal blade and hire something like the above if it proves too much.

Just been out to have a play with the Echo and was underwhelmed by how little fuss it was to destroy everything. Quiet, hardly any vibration, low fumes and easy to handle. I am covered from my head down though!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Brushcutter for brambles etc?’ is closed to new replies.