Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Bruised sit bone
  • Denis99
    Free Member

Has anyone had a bruised sit bone? More probably it is the soft tissue around the sit bone area.

I have never had this in all the years I have been cycling, definitely not chafing or a sore.

Very painful, and I can’t understand why it has happened.
    Same saddle, saddle height the same, nothing has been changed or altered for quite a while.

At the moment I am just taking some time off the bike, as it is very painful.

Anyone else had this?

theotherjonv

Yes – although with me i wouldn’t say it’s bruised, it’s swollen. On one side only, directly under the sit bone, there’s a firmer swelling about the size of a grape that i can actually grab between finger and thumb. I’ve googled and I think it’s either a cyst or a bursa. Time off the bike (a few days) and it reduces but doesn’t go away; longer off the bike – i don’t know because I haven’t had a prolonged period without a ride for ages now.

teef
    Free Member

Same saddle

Try a different saddle – maybe the padding has gone

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rocketman
    Free Member

Erm mrs rocket got a bruised sit bone after and unfortunate incident at a Wacky Warehouse years ago. Still plays her up sometimes car/aeroplane seats

tomkerton
    Free Member

Note IANAD

This sounds like Ischiogluteal Bursitis – my cycling buddy had it. Needs proper looking at.

theotherjonv

I’m planning on seeing a doctor, but it doesn’t sound like that – I have no pain other than the type you’d associate with riding a saddle over rough roads for hours at a time, and nothing I’d describe as buttock pain.

[edit] I have plenty of buttock pain, but that’s the wife, kids, boss, job related. The usual PITA stuff 😉

egb81
    Free Member

Yep, done on a bike but not in the way you’ve experienced. I grounded a pedal on a corner, which bucked the saddle into my sit bone. Extremely painful. Discomfort, not being able to sit happily lasted for about 3-4 weeks. No lasting effects thankfully.

Denis99
    Free Member

I don’t have any skin soreness or swelling.

I can sit on a chair comfortably, it’s only when I sit on the saddle in a certain position that I get a shooting pain.

If I move a little further back, then I don’t get the pain.

globalti
    Free Member

Worryingly, Mrs Gti has been in agony for over two years with pain in her ischeal bones. She doesn’t know what caused it; possibly long hours stuck in traffic on the M6 in Cheshire, but she hasn’t been able to sit down since she gave up her sales management job in massive distress. She’s seen physios, two orthopaedic surgeons, a neurologist and several other therapists but nothing has touched the pain. Originally it was thought to be bursitis, which used to be called weaver’s bottom, but nobody has been able to diagnose it. She takes strong painkillers, which make her very constipated and miserable.

Sorry to add a gloomy note to your post, OP.

stumpy01

I was going to say it sounds like some kind of bursitis.

In fact, reading this post reminded me of globalti mentioning his wife having some kind of similar issuel; didn’t you put it down to the rock hard seats in her Ibiza?

dlr

Check your saddle, I had bad sit bone pain one side before, saddle was bent so the painful side was 1cm higher and taking more weight. I have to sit on a cushion at work as the chair is so painful on a related note sigh

DanW
    Free Member

I had a similar sounding thing, more like JonV’s description, and the lump increased in size with cycling. It cam at a time when my mileage was at an all time high and that is the only thing I can attribute to being different to normal. I had enforced rest when working away for 3 months and that seems to have settled it down. I think tight hamstrings also tie in to this type of thing and that is the main thing a physio would predominantly target. Not sure if this relates to the OP’s problem exactly but hopefully useful!

Denis99
    Free Member

Definitely feels like the bone is crushing against the soft tissue and saddle.

Feels like a pinch, and has a feeling of the bone shifting on the pressure point, like a notch.

No crashes, no sudden falls in this area, just very uncomfortable on the saddle.

Tried saddle height, different saddles, fore and aft, no difference.

debt
    Free Member

As I’m sure that, by now, you have figured out you have NOT bruised your sit bone. I just want to let ya’ll know that I HAVE bruised one of my sit bones — and it takes a LOT of force to bruise a bone, and it takes MONTHS for the bone to heal. I am not a cyclist, but I do ride horses. I recently was bucked off a horse, and probably kicked on the inside of my thigh on the way down. This was quite a violent fall with serious impact. I bruised my sit bone — at least there was no evidence of a fracture in the x-rays taken at the time of the accident (I didn’t lose consciousness, but I was in enough pain to warrant an ER visit.) I have been riding for many (many) years, so I KNOW that the horse had bucked me off. I can tell you that you are in whole world of hurt when you bruise a bone — and that it takes a lot of force to bruise most bones. I needed serious meds for the first few weeks. This is 6 weeks ago, and I’m still in pain.

Denis99
    Free Member

Err……..ok.

Yep, didn’t bruise my sit bone, but it sure was painful for about a month.

Denis99
    Free Member

Just checked, your first post and a 3/10 rant.

Have I upset you in some way?

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

After a snowboarding fall some time ago I had 2 or 3 years of injections and treatments on mine before eventually having it removed. The 6 month recovery wasn’t great, but totally worth it to not be in constant pain…

globalti
    Free Member

Apparently bruised sit bones is more likely bursitis of the ischeal bones, once known as weaver’s bottom because people suffered it from sitting for hours on hard benches at looms.

Mrs Gti was diagnosed with this three years ago and she hasn’t sat down since as the pain is so acute; the medics have tried everything and she’s tried every alternative therapy. She eats standing up and sits sideways on her hips, and lies on her side. She can manage half an hour in the car, sitting on a soft cushion. She thinks she got it from years as an area sales manager, sitting in cars with stiff suspension and stuck on the M6 in Cheshire. Not nice at all.

singlespeedstu

I get this from time to time and always on the right hand side for some reason.
    Normally starts after miss timing something and the saddle whacking me in the ass.
    A few days off the bike sorts it out most of the time.
    I have in the past tried to ignore it and it’s just got worse so I now take the rest it approach.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Bruised sit bone’ is closed to new replies.