Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Brownies recipe
  • Cougar

Just tried my hand at baking brownies for the first time ever tonight.

The final result tastes alright, but didn’t rise so I’ve got very dense brownies about 6mm thick. I’ve basically made cookies. No idea what went wrong, am open to suggestions.

I’m going to try again tomorrow. In the meantime, does anyone have any personally recommended recipes I could have a punt at?

toby1

Hmm, usually just go for a basic book or net recipe, but then add some coffee and peanut butter. Also it is important not to overcook them as they dry out quickly. Sounds like your were missing a little something though, was the pan too big? 6mm doesn’t sound like the mix was too deep in the first place.

Cougar

Could well have been that TBH – I thought when I stuck it in the oven that it was a bit thin.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    grum
    Free Member
    missnotax
    Free Member

Good old Delia – work every time 🙂

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/fournutchocolatebrow_67259

wallace1492
    Free Member

BBC Good Food Recipe

This one has been great for me. Stuck in a square tin for small brownie squares. Replaced the Pecans with Glace Cherries, and it was superb, rich indulgent and very yummy.

colonelwax
    Free Member

Salted Peanut & Caramel brownies made these a few times and have been popular with my victims.

I’d never made a cake before when I first tried them so must be easy enough.

philconsequence
    Free Member

or

crazy-legs

I use a heavily modified version of Jamie Oliver’s (linked to above). A local cycling cafe buys them from me so yes, they’re very good. 🙂

Exact recipe is top secret… 😉

B_Leach
    Free Member

The wife makes these all the time, they never last long…

NOM NOM CHEESECAKE BROWNIES

ocrider

My recipe (more or less the BBC good food one) uses a bag of broken up salted pecan nuts, as opposed to the measly 50g, which makes any peanut based brownie vastly inferior.

I suggest you try it out.

Cougar

Cheers all.

Food for thought, as it were.

missnotax
    Free Member

I was all set to make Delia brownies tonight (for a weekend biking in Wales!) and now i’m all confused… 😉 😆

redwoods
    Free Member

Guy I work with made these inappropriately named Slutty Brownies (although he called them Triple Layer Brownies for the easily offended)

Om nom nom, indeed.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Mrs Sprocketjockey had a hand in this recipe…. uses mayonnaise rather bizarrely but the results are really light and delicious:

https://www.hellmanns.co.uk/recipes/dessert/posh_brownies.aspx

Anna-B
    Free Member

I like the look of those triple layer ones. I always use Nigellla Lawsons recipe from her “Domestic Goddess” cookbook. 6 eggs, a whole block of butter, several bars green and blacks chocolate. No expense spared brownies, and incredibly good. Mmm, not made any for ages…

missnotax
    Free Member

You’re a cruel woman redwoods – I am now sat at work and all I can think about are those triple layer brownies (slutty brownies just sounds wrong…..!) 😆

And I obviously work in the wrong place!!

mrsmouse
    Free Member

Brownies don’t rise as much as a normal sponge cake does – not as much raising agent and generally a heavier mixture. I’ve made the BBC ones before and various other recipes and almost all of them sink after coming out of the oven into dense gooey loveliness!

edd

Want Need chocolate brownies now…

ocrider

Slutty brownies recipe bookmarked! Thanks Redwoods.

allthepies
    Free Member

top nommage!

redwoods
    Free Member

Miss NT, this colleague made them, special like, for Red Nose Day Cake Sale at work recently (although there is still way too much cake present in this office!).

They are beyond evil in a totally died-and-gone-to-heaven way. Nicest brownies I’ve ever had (with the exception of Hel’s brownies on a Peaks Pootle once!). Might attempt them for that weekend you’re up next 😉

bruneep

From Mrs B

Makes: 12
    Preparation Time: 15 minutes
    Cooking Time: 30 minutes

You will need

33 x 23 x 5-cm baking tray, lined with greaseproof paper
    200g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
    175g unsalted butter
    325g caster sugar
    130g plain flour
    3 eggs
    icing sugar, to decorate

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F/gas mark 3.

2. Put the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (do not let the base of the bowl touch the water). Leave until melted and smooth.

3. Remove from the heat. Add the sugar and stir until well incorporated. Add the flour and stir until well incorporated. Finally, stir in the eggs and mix until thick and smooth.

4. Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking tray and bake in the preheated oven for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until flaky on the top but still soft in the centre. Be careful not to overcook otherwise the edges will become hard and crunchy. Leave to cool completely before dusting with icing sugar, to decorate.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Brownies recipe’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts