Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Brough, Eden Valley. Talk to me…
  • MrSparkle

Going there for a week with Mrs and dog. Planning on doing some fell running and poss taking cx bike. Can anyone suggest some likely spots for off road fun?
    I’ve seen there’s loads of Stone Circles etc in the area and I’m hoping to see a few of those but what else can we see/visit/do while we’re there?
    Cheers.

xora

Eden valley railway (on the A66), and Stainmore Railway (Kirby Stephen) if you like old trains!

whitestone
    Free Member

High Cup Nick is worthwhile for a jog. Nine Standards Rigg similarly. Both have fell races.

Probably best as a base – you’re not far from the Lakes and the Howgills plus there’s the stuff in the northern Pennines like High Force and Cauldron Snout.

There’s a bit of off-road riding in the Eden Valley but best suited to a hardtail IMO. Plenty of pleasant lanes to ride.

MrSparkle

Cheers. Yes, done High Cup Nick race a couple of times. Good call.
    May have a look at Railway too. Thanks.

MrSparkle

Cheers. Yes, done High Cup Nick race a couple of times. Good call.
    May have a look at Railway too. Thanks.

eulach

Don’t go scuba diving or antagonize the local delinquents.

Moses

Bowes Museum is world class. Was used as a film set, but I can’t remember what for.
    Do you like castles? Appleby, Brough, Barnard Castle..Join English Heritage.

mick_r

I think this weekend has (rare) public access to the Warcop army training area – there are a few bridleways if you fancy some adventure (not a clue what they are like).

martinhutch

Good call, Mick.

I’ve always fancied exploring the one up the side of Hilton Beck, then back via High Cup Nick. I’m guessing that most of them are pretty indistinct on the ground up top though (And fairly boggy!)

mick_r

Has anyone on here explored the ranges? I remember staying near Appleby as a kid and hearing lots of firing.

I found the dates here:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/warcop-access-times

Just your thing Si, like Holcombe but without the maggot farm 🙂

martinhutch

I may have inadvertently wandered into its fringes when living in Teesdale…

Very rough bounds, and a lot of bog to trot. I’d say not much of it would be that rewarding an inclusion in a bike loop! The bit with the best tracks (Made for army vehicles) is naturally the most restricted, you need a permit for that and have to follow a set route.

garethc
    Free Member

Good running around Swaledale – check out the Dales Trail Series routes (http://www.dalestrailseries.uk/dt20/)…

Cross bike across Sleightholme Moor to Tan Hill, and back via Swaledale and Arkengarthdale – can even go exploring the lead mines NW of Reeth on a CX bike (https://gcrapper.wordpress.com/2017/08/19/swaledale/)

BadlyWiredDog

We spent a relaxed week in Kirkby Stephen earlier this year. It was like a trip to the 1950s, but quite pleasant. It’s a good place to ride a cross bike, lots of ace back lanes rubbish road surfaces. The off road stuff was mostly an interesting mix of tussocks and bog and that was in the nominal summer.

It was nice in a low key way, but a cultural desert. The chippy in Kirkby Stephen is entertaining though, there’s a sit-down area which you access by going behind the counter and a blurry photograph of Wainwright on the wall. They’d also just got a newly refurbed Co-op with self-service tills that terrified the locals…

There are loads of sheep. Oh, and the local pubs had discovered tourism and were all ludicrously overpriced.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tan hill inn would be a great spot to explore from, nice pint afterwards too. Also not far, maybe 30 mins? from Ard rock country, Fremington edge, gunnerside and the paths/bridleways around there are lovely, great views.

martinhutch

It was nice in a low key way, but a cultural desert.

If only it had been a pop-up, ironic chippy.

Not sure exactly what culture you were expecting in a Dales agricultural town. Barn dances?

BadlyWiredDog

If only it had been a pop-up, ironic chippy.

Not sure exactly what culture you were expecting in a Dales agricultural town. Barn dances?

Yeah, I phrased that badly. What I should have said is simply that there’s not much to do other than walk, run, bike or drink in pubs, but then you wouldn’t expect there to be. I’m about as hipster as a pair of old dungarees btw…

Like I said, it was pleasant in a low-key sort of way.

martinhutch

there’s not much to do other than walk, run, bike or drink in pubs

Paradise! 😀

You’d be surprised what goes on in the young farmer underground though. Just got to talk to the right people. 😀

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Just your thing Si, like Holcombe but without the maggot farm

No unexploded artillery shells and tank rounds on Holcombe

BadlyWiredDog

You’d be surprised what goes on in the young farmer underground though. Just got to talk to the right people.

I already mentioned the sheep 😕

MrSparkle

Just got back to this thread. Genuine thanks for all the replies. Oooh, I wonder if I could get away with a look at Warcop on the Sunday. Hmmm…

“walk, run, bike or drink in pubs”. That would do me nicely! 😀

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Brough, Eden Valley. Talk to me…’ is closed to new replies.