• This topic has 12 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by aP.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Brooks C17 – Late to the party…..
  • Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Hello,

Just thought I would share my cycling revelation! I finally folded and bought a Brooks C17, I was reluctant to buy one for the past year or so due to the price but managed to picked up a very nice condition used one on eBay. I’m not much of a cyclist, just get out when I can so don’t have a massive cycling budget, though after my MBL I’m hoping to get out more.

I haven’t had much of a chance to test it as the bike I intended to fit it too is still have an Alfine wheel build finished…. They’ve had it just over 4 weeks now 😐 …
    So as it was nice yesterday I fitted it to my road come gravel come commuter bike, a Planet X Kaffenback.
    I’ve been fairly happy with the stock saddle but wanted to try the Brooks out. 😮 What a difference it makes!
    Hands down one of the most comfortable saddles I’ve ridden, gel saddles don’t touch it for comfort.
    I only done a quick 17 miles yesterday with a mix of rough coastal road, in town and a short gravel section, and my backside is much happier for it. Steel frame helps soak up some of the roads features as well.
    Only down side I could hear was the creaking, I thought my bottom bracket was on the way out, I wasn’t quite ready for the noise of it as low speed/high cadence. The weight doesn’t bother me, I’m too fat to worry about bike weight, and my bike is far to heavy…
    I will get a few more miles on it and see how I get on, but initial tests are impressive and atm would recommend to pick one up 2nd hand, still not sold on the full price!

Here are some pics of the lovely Cornish coast.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GcTYbp]IMG_20160411_191231[/url] by Stephen Williams, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GaBf1N]IMG_20160411_192706[/url] by Stephen Williams, on Flickr

Cheers,

jerrys
    Free Member

I had a C17 on my Kaffenback for the last 9 months.

It was a gift from my brother as he couldn’t get on with it. Neither could I, it really bruised my sit bone area. I should have taken it off months ago, but persevered thinking it might get more comfortable. I was wrong. I’m now back with a Charge Spoon.

bodgy
    Free Member

Love my C17.

aP
    Free Member

I found that the fake rivets on both the C15 and C17 disagreed with me, to the point of having blood produced at the area where they dug into me. I also found that the area in the saddle where there was flex was not where I could comfortably sit. So I have both saddles in a cardboard box of stuff in the spare bedroom and have a fizik saddle on the Brompton instead which, basically works for me.
    I suppose I should try and sell them at some point.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

I’ve done two more rides since, just my commute to work (9.5m), but still feels comfy to me only pain is my lack of fitness… my hip flexors are a tad sore.
    Not had a issues with the rivets as of yet, but I’m not an “on the rivet” kind of guy.
    Only problem is now is do I buy a 2nd for my Singular put up with switching them back and forth, at the moment the price (even 2nd hand) is putting me off buying another!

Cheers, Steve

Pyro

aP – If you decide to get rid, let me know, could be interested in one of them.

( /end minor hijack… )

xyeti
    Free Member

I’ve done about 2K Miles on a C15 and not had a sore or a rub from the rivets, I quite like the look of their clinical machined appearance in contrast to the leather saddles with plenished copper fasteners and the C15 etched onto a rivet is nice, mine was one of the limited first runs so is also numbered which is a nice touch I thought.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

aP I might be interested in one as well…

Cheers, Steve

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Slapped the Brooks onto my swift and took it on a quick run around the Great Flat Lode.
    I still find it really comfy, the only problem I had was I cant get my back side over the rear end for descending, the width is too wide to do it comfortably.
    As a gravel/touring/light MTB saddle it great but not sure I would use it for anything serious.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GtpxmE]IMG_20160505_175704[/url] by Stephen Williams, on Flickr

Cheers, Steve

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Great, aren’t they?
    I’ve got one on my Krampus, and one on my Vaya.
    Gonna give a C15 a go in my DeRosa as soon as.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Yea every time I jump on I think why did I hesitate so much! Should have just bought one… the price put me off really….

I would like to try a C15 the C17 is OK for my commuter but think the C15 might be a bit better for my Swift.

Cheers, Steve

ahwiles
    Free Member

tried one, it was like sitting on a brick, but less comfy.

aP
    Free Member

Ah. Just seen this again, will look in spare bedroom and get in contact.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Brooks C17 – Late to the party…..’ is closed to new replies.