Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Bronson/ SC upper link problems?
  • joeditch
    Free Member

so on my 2014 alu bronson i’ve recently had a problem with excessive play in the rear end. I suspected it to be either bearings or shock bushes, all replaced problem persisted. So to cut the story short i’ve narrowed it down to being a worn upper link where the lower end of the shock mounts, the not threaded side has become, lets say oval.

has anyone encountered this before? The mount has never been loose and correctly torqued

cheers ditch

jemima
    Free Member

Lateral play or vertical play?

The shock shouldn’t see any side loads in operation and certainly shouldn’t be contributing to the lateral stiffness of the frame. So if this bore is oval bearings must have been worn for a while to allow movement.

What shock are you running? I recently replaced all bearings and bushes as felt like bushes had gone (vertical clunking) but persisted. Turns out something had come loose inside the shock which TF tuned fixed no bother. This was with CCDBA.

joeditch
    Free Member

vertical play, just the one eye end where the shock mounts as the opposite side is threaded. It’s not a massive amount but enough to notice, the bolt head does move a little fore and aft when compressed that’s how I noticed the wear at first. However to be honest bearings weren’t bad at all, possibly the shock mount being worn slightly has affected it. I’ve upgraded those to the stainless mounts from mojo and I’m running a fox float x which is serviced regularly

thered

I’ve had the same clunking with my CCDBA, it’s like a more extreme version of the click as the neg/pos chambers equalise at the beginning of travel.

TFT replaced some internals under warranty a year ago but the problem has now returned.

They did suggest that the Santa Cruz VPP system puts rotational stress on the shock cos the upper shock mounts flex under load, could that contribute towards ovalised mounts? TFT suggested using a heavy duty mounting kit to prevent wear.

joeditch
    Free Member

ive contacted the guys over at jungle products who distribute the SC spares and they’ve responded with that they’ve never heard of this sort of damage to the bores but are going to look into it once i get some pictures sent over to them

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Bronson/ SC upper link problems?’ is closed to new replies.