Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bromptontrackworld – locking strategy ?
  • DrJ

I am now the proud owner of a shiny new Brompton M2S, intended to ferry me a few miles to and from the station each day, and further in the event of transport strikes, as well as to tootle round town.

I am wondering about a strategy for locking the thing up. I guess the basics are that if you leave this nice toy anywhere long, it will disappear, even if guarded by a fully tooled-up SWAT team. Also – the idea of a folding bike is that you can take it with you.

So, seems there are three options:

1. Don’t bother locking it, just take it with you everywhere
    2. Get a modest lock to use while you nip into Starbucks for a skinny latte, so that nobody can just grab it and pedal off
    3. Get a serious lock to stop anyone from stealing it without being heavily equipped with industrial strength ironmongery – not that you leave it anywhwere long, just that you have more chance than in option (2)

What do you think, or do?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Option 1.

antennae
    Free Member

I’m fairly paranoid so choose 1, take it everywhere. No lock to carry and it doesn’t add much time over locking it up anyway… 20 seconds to fold once you’ve mastered it!

aidanoggy
    Free Member

Yep option 1 , no need to do anything else!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Surely ypu just leave it folded, that’ll fox them! You could also spit on the saddle if you want to make doubly sure it stays put.

DrJ

Option 1 seems best, it’s true ….

Do shopkeepers etc react OK to customers, diners etc with bikes ?

antennae
    Free Member

I’ve taken mine everywhere: coffee shops, galleries, offices, pubs, restaurants, bookshops… no worries. If it’s busy, ask if there’s somewhere you can stash it (behind the counter or in a cloakroom). If the place is a bit smart, pop a cover on:

http://brompton.com/spares/part/6261/brompton-bike-cover-c-w-saddle-bag

Stoner
    Free Member

Option 1.

Had mine stolen from a sheffield on Strand, London a few years ago.
    Got a replacement on insurance.
    Swore never to leave it locked anywhere again.

I dont often use my brompton anyway, since I keep a ratbike at Paddington

So I leant it to my colleague a few months ago. And he locked it up outside a clients on Wigmore street. So that’s been nicked too 🙁

lorax

I’m on my third Brompton, option 3 having failed me despite serious locks, in crowded places. I had one nicked in front of my university, at lunchtime, on a sunny day, 5-10m from large groups of people sitting on steps facing it, with a major U-lock, attached to serious street furniture, for 30 minutes.

So it’s only ever option 1 for me now. I’ve only ever once had a problem lugging it into a building, and that was somewhere they’d had their glass lift doors shattered a few weeks earlier by someone bashing into them so I don’t really blame them. I’ve carried it into the House of Commons, the Dept of Health, GLA City Hall and endless shops, galleries, cafes etc and never bothered with a cover – the only time I’ve needed one is travelling on the Eurostar, where they are now a bit picky about them.

simon_g

Option 1.

It’s no bigger than a small suitcase and I’ve never had a problem at restaurants, cafes, meetings at swanky offices, etc.

I politely ask where they’d like it to go, rather than whether it’s OK to bring inside in the first place. Cover isn’t a bad idea but I’ve not needed one yet.

Thieves know exactly what that are and what they sell for. Don’t carry a lock and you won’t be tempted to use it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Will you be in London? If so, then carrying a bike around with you is one of the many things at which no-one bats an eyelid 🙂 People are very used to it these days.

bentudder

Option 1. Where I work has an enormous gate with a video camera entry system and security cameras all over the shop, and I’m slightly nervous about leaving it locked up inside this area, with our poor receptionist eyeballing if from her desk most of the day. The other Brompton owner brings his inside and sticks it under his desk.

So yeah, take it with you. A friend locks his while on the train, since he doesn’t sit next to it. They’re even more thieve-able than a normal sized bike, basically.

The only time I had a problem with it was going into Waitrose (I know – but it’s closer than Sainsburys) one evening – they didn’t want me wheeling it up and down the aisles, but we happy for me to leave it at the tills next to the security guard.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Option 1.

I cannot recall ever having any problem bringing it in places.

ericemel
    Free Member

I always through my in a shopping trolley in the supermarkets – never a complaint

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s not a bike. It’s a Brompton. 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bromptontrackworld – locking strategy ?’ is closed to new replies.