Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Brompton questions…
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

We’ve got 6 speeds. Hub works fine but my 2spd derailleur has always been ‘sticky’ so rarely gets used.

lorax

The front luggage is expensive but for me it’s a really important part of the package. Given that I use the Brompton for work it means I can get to places without a sweaty back from a courier bag, except on the hottest days. It also helps to stabilise the bike – it feels much twitchier without it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Why limit yourself to a Brommy?

#Dahonbikes 😆

bencooper
    Free Member

If you’ve already got panniers, I make a front rack to carry them:

Brompton Pannier Rack by Ben Cooper, on Flickr

Matching rear rack in development 😉

ransos
    Free Member

We have one at work. The folding mechanism is ingenious, but it’s absolutely hateful to ride.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Make absolutely sure you don’t get any lube spray anywhere near the rear hub. It’s waterproofed by packing it with grease…

shermer75
    Free Member

Fixing a puncture is easier with a 2-speed than it is with a 3- or 6-speed

Macavity
    Free Member

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Top tip – when you have to sort your first puncture or change a tyre, change the rubbish plastic rim strip that’s put on in the factory for a nice proper cloth one – makes tyre removal, repalcement / seating waaaayyyy easier. The technical description for a Marathon Plus with the Brommie plastic strip is ‘bastardtight’!

Steelfreak
    Free Member

Anyone any experience with the SA 8 speed conversion?
    Worth the cash and extra weight or not?

(Currently have M6 but would like bigger gear spread and better changer…)

LenHankie

Do test ride the 2 and 3 speed versions for comparison – I think you’ll get what I and others are saying: The 2spd gears seem more useful than those on the 3spd. It’s MUCH lighter and the gears can easily be swapped. If you want a 6 spd however, then go for it.

I can’t agree with ransos – Feels like a BMX. Super nippy and great acceleration.

shermer75
    Free Member

I can’t agree with ransos – Feels like a BMX. Super nippy and great acceleration.

I agree with this, I love how it rides. I’m 6’4″, somehow it just works..

bentudder

Two years on an S3 here – 85 miles a week year round.
    Marathons are good – got my first puncture the other day because the sidewall wore out just before the tread did.
    Front luggage block and S bag is worth every penny.
    One thing- I did manage to shatter the pawls in the SA hub withinna week or two. Advised to start in easiest gear rather than pushing the big meat..

mefty
    Free Member

AndyMain – I would be interested in your Brompton as mine was stolen, email in profile if still available.

bencooper
    Free Member

Just finished an Alfine 11-speed disc kit:

Now to start building Rohloff disc Bromptons – got three to build this week…

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Alfine 11-speed disc kit:

Katie’s Alfine 11 has now started pissing oil from the disc side as well as the drive side 🙁 Every Alfine 11 I’ve seen seems to leak oil like crazy.

bencooper
    Free Member

Which is why I’m not sure I want to make any more of these – someone asked, and provided the hub, so I said I’d give it a go 😉

T1000
    Free Member

Ben, how does the range of the 8 speed compare to the 6 speed BWR?

I find that I’m only using the higher 4 and ideally would like a closer set of ratios……

bencooper
    Free Member

It’s a bit wider – 325% – from 29″ to 94″ with the 33t chainset I usually use.

T1000
    Free Member

thanks for that….I’ll go and have a Think….may well give you a call…

ransos
    Free Member

It’s flexy and heavy.

bentudder

I’m constantly puzzled about these remarks about flexy. I’m pretty sure the stock Stronglight cranks are as flexy as heel, and I’m going to swap them for some old HT 105s soon, but the rest of the frame seems pretty beefy to me. Where are the flexy people seeing the flex, may I ask?

On the Alfine conversion: I’ve got a Nexus 8 hub on my Specialized Tricross at the moment that is cut down to 120mm OLD. I’m quite tempted to build it up for the Brompton at some point – although it seems overkill for my 6.5 miles each way commute. That might resolve the Alfine oil problem – although it’d be no help on the disc side of things.

bencooper
    Free Member

The bars and stem can be pretty flexy, especially the M and P bars. The Alfine 8-speed seems a lot more reliable than the 11-speed.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Brompton questions…’ is closed to new replies.