Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Brompton incoming. Leave alone or 'tinker'…?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

As above, gonna get an M3L, should I leave it all stock or do any parts want ‘upgrading’…?

Stoner
    Free Member

It’s nice to put a decent saddle on it.

Finkill

Have you tried an S-type bar, much better riding position for an existing cyclist IMHO. M-type is very upright.

Nothing wrong with the standard saddle (if it suits your behind) and the hand grip under the nose is useful.

aP
    Free Member

The standard saddles are terrible.

tonyg2003

Firm suspension bush is the only essential. Saddles are OK for short rides.

Finkill

Are you talking about this

Whats so terrible about it?

Saddles are pretty personal things I guess

bencooper
    Free Member

Simple things I’d do (assuming you don’t want me to Rohloff and disc became it) are swap to decent handlebar grips, and fit a better 3-speed shifter – the Brompton one is horribly plasticky. If you want to knock a decent amount of weight off it, get a titanium seatpost from Bromptonification.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with the standard saddle (if it suits your behind) and the hand grip under the nose is useful.

and

Firm suspension bush is the only essential.

Anything else just replace as and when worn out. Like the grips, for example.

Stoner
    Free Member

ah – mine came with the older type of saddle and it was horrendous.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Leave it alone, better a stock Brompton.

loddrik
    Free Member

Only thing I was planning was to stick a Charge Spoon on it, though I had heard the grips were crap and I like the idea of a gripshift.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Not sure, think these are good left alone but I can’t help tinkering so my Brompton went on a diet and a try at reducing rolling resistance. It has a carbon seat post, 3ttts saddle,, flatter bars, different grips, titanium bottom bracket, light weight tyres and inners – always feels twitchy for first 50m then a demon traffic machine (though brakes not ideal) and a useful improvement when its time to pick up and carry.

robdob
    Free Member

I don’t know how they get away with charging so much money for a bike with such horrific parts on. Saddle/grips/shifter/pedals – you can find better on a £100 BSO.

bencooper
    Free Member

The M bars are quite cramped – grip shift takes up more bar space. Do-able if you have small hands, but not ideal.

fasthaggis

After seeing some of Ben’s work on here,I would Cooper S it .

Tinkering is all part of the fun 🙂

TiRed

You’ve bought a Brompton and are wondering if you’ll tinker. That made me laugh – of course you will!!! It’s in the Brompton owners SOP.

My list;
    Brake levers can always be improved
    Lighting – swap out the rear replector for something useful. I mounted a Nordlich front dynamo and B&M standlight (which I had to grind into an inverted U shape to fit under the bag.
    Saddle – personal but I’d swap it
    Pedals – the folding one is good but the non-folding one used to be gash.
    Grips – again gash and you’ll probably already have better
    Gearing – what did you go for. IMHO the two speed is the sweeet spot unless you live in the hilly north
    Roller wheels – again fit some nice rollerblade wheels

There is a whole industry…

Ask Steve Parry, Ben or Dave Halliday for some examples. I almost bought that yellow Brompton Tandem, you know.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

GO!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think the saddle is fine for short rides.

Gripshift…is that possible?

Have to say, fair play to the loons that customise, but if you are a regular user, the stock bike is fine. Levers are now fine, Dynamo is nice but adds weight and cost.

I properly can’t believe the aftermarket crap you can buy, utter overpriced nonsense. Those anodised clamps for instance, worse than the purple ano days.

Glad to see you’ve followed my advice 😎

bland

You clearly need a carrying device

tangent
    Free Member

See how it goes, however I find v.short barends a useful addition.

I also swapped out the brake levers, although I think the latest Brompton OEM kit is much improved

Have fun on it!

Greybeard
    Free Member

…get a titanium seatpost from Bromptonification

That looked interesting – but it’s just Brompfication, and they are 158€, sadly not within my budget to save 185g.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yeah, got confused with a guy who customises stuff on Flickr.

I’ve got a Brompton to make into a recumbent in the shop – should be interesting! Plus one to fit an electric motor to, and two more disc-brakes Rohloff ones to build. And the rear pannier rack to finish designing.

Brompton bodging is fun 😉

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Brompton incoming. Leave alone or 'tinker'…?’ is closed to new replies.