Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Brompton bikes.
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Apologies for the "non-MTB" content. If I get the job I'm going for,I'll be doing some of the commute on a Brompton folding bike. Has anybody got/ridden one of these?

Opinions, please…

akira

Great little bikes, pretty fast once you get used to them.
    Best folding bike out there, not got one but ridden quite a few.

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive got one, had two at one point.

I dont use it as much now as I leave a rat bike at Paddington station for me 2×4 mile ride across town once a week this is beacause Id been lazy and locked a brompton to a sheffield and had it nicked from Strand. 🙁

I walk to the station at the other end as the very steep climb up the hill on the way home wasnt really doable on the brompton. So I walk it.

If you have the tyres pumped up very hard its a great bike to rag around on. Very stable and responsive. Very fast. But as soon as you let th epressures drop a bit it can be a drag.

You get the hang of folding/unfolding in less than 10 seconds.

I recommend the 2 speed for lightness, simplicity and short chain length.

s/h value is excellent as well as retailers are restricted on sale prices so no-one is letting them go less than RRP.

aP
    Free Member

Did have until a landrover parked on top of it.
    Pretty good, the best folding action, perfectly good for up to about 10 miles each way I'd say.

psychle
    Free Member

Really like mine (I have the bling titanium version of course 😆 ), it's a 3 speed that I've fitted with cut down flat bars, nice and fast (as long as you keep the tyres pumped up to 80psi), if you get one make sure you fit Marathon Plus tyres, fixing a puncture on a Brompton is a right pain (especially the back wheel!). They're perfect for London and the like.

They do take a bit of getting used to, quite a different feel to a proper bike, very 'twitchy' but great once you get used to it, very agile in traffic etc.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Much as Stoner says. I get a certain amount of use out of mine (flat-bar 2-speed). It's perfectly quick, but because the handling is a touch peculiar I tend not to cane around on it particularly. Folding and unfolding is a doddle. I think it's worth having the upgraded wheel-thingies for rolling the folded package around. It's a heavy thing to have to carry and being able to pull it behind you is helpful. 🙂

IainAhh
    Free Member

Hi,

I have a 3 speed that I used for london commuting last year. Worked great for me, took it on the tube, train, sleeper, taxi, minibus, the odd towpath. Its nice and small folded.

Once you get used to it you can get a good speed up on it.

I only used it for approx 4 months and I am planning to sell in as I've moved back to Scotland and now using a full size bike.

So if you are interested …

Cheers Iain

chiefgrooveguru

I've had a 6 speed Brompton since 2003. Commuted daily on it for two years and then weekly/monthly ever since. They're remarkably quick on the road, I run the front tyre at 80-90 psi, back at 100-110. Did the London-Brighton on it last year and it made me look a much faster cyclist than I really am. (If you saw a man in a 3-piece suit on a black Brompton, that was me). Very nimble handling and upright stance is good in town. If you're used to only riding MTBs it'll feel nervy and brakeless – you have to keep your wits about you downhill.

They've changed a fair bit since I got mine, longer wheelbase, different bars, more gear options. Schwalbe marathon tyres are essential – recently switched back to some free Brompton kevlar tyres as the Schwalbes had worn out and have already got a puncture, which is a right pain when it's on the back. I break a lot of rear spokes too but it's never been a problem in practice.

tthew

I used to love mine, (sold it as it never got used) and had no qualms about caning it everywhere. Down Derby Road towards Lenton Boulevard was pretty fast, especially with your head between the, (cowhorn) handlebars.

Top tip, make a short bungie out of an old inner tube to hook over the little roller wheels and round the seat tube, you can't bunnie hop up kerbs without smashing the back wheel into them otherwise.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips, guys.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Brompton bikes.’ is closed to new replies.