Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Brompton 6Spd sprockets wear
  • Bridlewayman
    Free Member

I’ve just replaced a worn out chain (1300 miles) on my (new)6Spd Brompton, only to find it now slips (When I’m honking/stamping on pedals/ pulling off) which would indicate sprocket wear and thus replacement required – but this seems to be happening a bit soon (esp seeing as how the sprockets are’nt that thin/cut away/ramped like conventional ones)

Anyone else had similar wear issues? Can I just turn the sprockets round?

Cheers

simon_g

I guess you could turn them around – although given the effort to get the wheel off, and that they’re only about a fiver delivered I’d be inclined to just replace.

http://www.simpsoncycles.co.uk/section.php/627/1/rear_sprockets_and_spacers

They’re towards the smaller end of sprocket sizes and unlike a 8/9sp cassette, the chain spends a lot more time on each. How stretched was the chain when you took it off?

Bridlewayman
    Free Member

My Park chain wear indicator tool read “1”, so pretty worn….

I suppose I was just expecting more chain/sprockets-life as I look after my chains and thought that less ramping would mean much longer lasting (like the old sturmey archer 3 spd set ups) – but I suppose you’re right re more time per sprocket.

The Brompton website says chains should last 2-3000 miles – but maybe thats just for 3 spds….

simon_g

It’s pretty variable though with rider/luggage weight and riding style. I know I’m pretty heavy, like racing people off the lights and tend to ride with a full bag of work so I’m not expecting massive life out of the chain.

Thinking about it, on my 2-speed with it’s huge chainring and tiny rear sprockets (to get reasonable gear inches on 16″ wheels) the chain probably travels way further per mile than my other bikes. Should really get the chain wear tool out…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Brompton 6Spd sprockets wear’ is closed to new replies.