• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by aP.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Brompton
  • seifahmad
    Free Member

Hi all.
    Looking at a Brompton on bike to work.
    Can’t decide between s2l or s3l with Schwalbe tyres and luggage block. Both just sneak under 1000 limit.
    Live in Cheshire so leaning more towards 3 speed and would hope to use it to cycle with kids on easy cycle paths etc.

Thoughts welcome
    Thankyou

akira

Get the luggage block, one of the best things about a brompton is just dumping a bag on the front.

aP
    Free Member

If you’re just going to cycle on cycle paths then get a birdy or something else. The point about the Brompton is the fold ability basically, and if you don’t need that you might as well buy something that’s better suited for cycling.
    I have a S2L-X but I use it in town, on and off trains and the tube and take it into offices, shops and the pub, with a front bag, and SON dynamo hub.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Agreed. Bromptons are for folding and riding. The fold being perhaps the most important thing. Fold and put in a car, train, boat, office, under the table in the pub, etc.

FWIW, I’d go for M3L. The M bar gives a comfier riding position.

seifahmad
    Free Member

It will be used in town for the majority of time commuting so foldability is needed. Would also use it with the kids when pedalling with them not sure tho If 2 or 3 speed would be the way to go.
    Luggage block and schwalbes would be optioned as they seem to be recommended.

frood
    Free Member

I would agree with you, Schwalbes are a good idea especially on the back as rear punctures are a real faff. The 3 speed gives you a hill a flat and a downhill gear, the 2 speed is lighter and gives just the accelerate or hill gear and a cruise gear. If you’re regularly going to carry it any more than a flight of steps weight is important, if not go for the 3 speed. I’ve got the s2l and find the riding position much more comfortable than the m. There are shops from which you can rent either for a day or more or at least have a spin on either 2 or 3 speed models. Worth doing if you’re still unsure. Also definitely get the front block as you’ve planned!

simon_g

2 speed saves about 450g compared to the 3 speed – that hub gear is heavy compared to the simple derailleur.

I’ve found 2 speed fine as long as you’re not going to drag up a really long steep hill. Only time I don’t like the gearing is when you have a slight downhill and spin out, but it’s not steep enough for gravity to speed you up.

If you’re custom-ordering then get the hard suspension block unless you’re a waif.

T1000
    Free Member

try before you buy. If folding size isn’t the most important requirement then have a look at a Dahon Jetstream instead of a Birdy.

MrSmith
    Free Member

The M bar gives a comfier riding position.

For you, not for everybody. That’s a nodder height bar for those with bad backs, the S bar is racy without being uncomfortable (for me)
    The plus point of the 2 speed is dealing with a puncture as it’s a 15mm spanner and pop the derailleur off with no other tools.
    I rode a 2 speed round the Isle of Wight and didn’t have a problem on the hills, it’s mainly a city bike though and it’s ideal for that kind of riding. The 2017 shifters and grips are much better so do not be tempted by a cheaper 2016 bike.

TiRed

S2 is much lighter than the three speed option and gives two usable gears. Luggage block is essential. The rear rack is not.

benp1

M3l here. I’m 6’3, S bars look better but they’re just too short if you’re much above 6 foot or so

3 speed is fairly important for me, 2 wouldn’t be enough. In fact I had my 3 speed gearing dropped by 8% or 12%, can’t remember which one. I use it for pootling, need to be able to ride it up a London hill, need to cycle it in full clothes without getting massively sweaty, and need to be able to take a child on it (also up a hill)

Guards are massively important. Rack is less useful as you can’t leave anything on it and fold it.

I have marathons, 1 puncture from a drawing pin so far, have been pretty reliable.

Definitely get the luggage block, luggage is genius on the brompton

I bought mine this time last year, new version has better shifters and there’s no extra charge for buying it in a nice colour

aP
    Free Member

I mostly rebuilt my S2 last year (it was a 2011 model), with new levers, brakes, wheels, cranks, etc…
    I use Marathon Plus tyres which feel like they’re made of mahogany, but are pretty reliable – just make sure that you keep them pumped right up to 100psi otherwise they’re extremely draggy.
    The SON hub + LED lamps as a system is great – I leave the lights on all the time, and it means that you just don’t have to worry about being caught out by batteries or daylight fading.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Brompton’ is closed to new replies.