Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Broken wrist recovery and possible setback
  • devon_roadie
    Free Member

I fractured my radius coming off my road bike on black ice before Christmas. I’ve now had a cast on after 4 weeks, so another 2 weeks left. Before the cast I had to have manipulation to put it straight.

Yesterday I tried to open my hand to hold something light and I got a sharp pain for several seconds underneath my wrist around the area where the fracture probably is. I’m worried that due to the difficulties in healing wrist fractures that I may have moved it. I’ve had no more pain since though.

The hospital is 20 miles away so not easy to check without arranging transport. I wondered if anyone else has experienced similar problems with fractures?

I’m counting down day by day for the cast removal and I don’t want there to be any reason for the cast to have to stay on any longer! How common is it that the cast doesn’t come off after 6 weeks?

I live in the countryside and miss my independence and being able to cycle like you wouldn’t believe!

Thanks 🙂

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I got a cast last Sept after being clattered by a car. The cats came off after 6 weeks.

It’s still painful now if I move it in a certain direction. Or if I am the recipient of small-dick bone crushing handshakes.

Don’t be surprised if it’s still sore; you’ll just have to accept that.

And it’ll be a long time before you’ll be doing any pressups!

tenayshuzd
    Free Member

Broke a metacarpal in my hand when a muppet opened his car door on my nightly commute last year.
    Cast came off after 6 weeks but I got severe pain in the wrist down the little finger side due to the restricted movement, bloody agony for weeks but everything was alright once cast came off.
    Could be your experiencing that? My wrist still clicks now in that area, my osteopath said bones heal well, its the surrounding muscles and tendons that might not recover so well…
    If in doubt I would get suggest you get down to the hospital, they might x-ray again?

devon_roadie
    Free Member

Interesting! I’ve spent so much time googling for info but waste of time really. I know an xray is the only way I’ll know for sure, but I’m worried they’ll increase the time the cast has to stay on because of it and I feel like a prisoner just counting down the days until I’m free! I’m thinking that surely just opening my hand to hold something after 4 weeks in a cast couldn’t cause the fracture to get displaced, fingers crossed! But I can quite believe you both experienced pain after the cast. The muscles and tendons on my arm are squeezed quite tight by the cast so I expect them to take a while to work again and that could be a factor in the pain too

fogliettaz
    Free Member

I broke my wrist on a pre Christmas Dinner walk in the Alps. The French hospital pinned my wrist and I am wearing an velcro splint type cast which means I can take it off to get dressed, shower etc. I am told I need to get checked out after 4 weeks and have the pins out after 8. Hopefully I will be able to go skiing at Easter. I have my bike set up on the turbo in the conservatory to exercise but need some tt bars to take the weight on my elbows. I expect it will be very uncomfortable for the first few weeks when I get back on the road.xray

LardLover
    Free Member

6 months after getting clattered by a car my wrist still hurts occasionally, in certain positions, clicks and feels like it’s going to lock.

My break was simple, wasn’t displaced so no manipulation/pins needed. Only in a cast 4 was. Boy did my wrist hurt when they took it off, it was so stiff!! I nearly asked them to put the cast back on.

Anyway, what I’m trying to say is, the swelling has probably gone down, you wrist can move inside the cast, it clicked.

As long as it’s not excessively swollen, painful, fingers aren’t blue? It’s probably ok………but I’m no doc!

If worried, go get it checked. Or ring the fracture clinic for advice.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Could be joint pain especially if you haven’t been doing hand exercises or movements.

This was mine

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/broken-wrist-recovery

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Go to the hospital and get it checked out. Your cast should not feel tight, you should have full range of movement in your hand and you should have been given exercises to keep your digits moving. If your cast was put on in theatre it may well be shit and need changed, they often are. Surgeons are crap at putting casts on compared to plaster technicians. So aye, go get it seen to.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Broken wrist recovery and possible setback’ is closed to new replies.