• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by LsD.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Broken usb sockets in laptop
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

As above, any remedy? The plastic bit fell out of one and the connectors are bent, the other one is stiff to plug into and doesn’t connect.

It’s an acer, only 18 months old. It’s predecessor, a desktop, kept going for 5 years! I may try and Linux it.

scaredypants

you can buy replacement sockets (according to google anyway) – no idea how you tell if they’ll fit or how easy it is

did you attach something using a hammer/rock ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Normal use only, honest!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    schrickvr6
    Free Member

Some laptops will have a USB daughter board which should be easy enough to replace, but most will have the sockets soldered to the mobo, the sockets themselves should be a quid or two max each but it’s quite a labour intensive job stripping down the laptop and chucking everything back together again, personally I’d charge about £60. Alternatively has it got an express card slot?

chaos

Get a dock for it? Check compatibility with your model though

http://store.acer.com/

heavyman
    Free Member

Get them swapped out, a short on the USB ports can disable your whole lapper, if you have another port on the back (or wherever) you could buy a USB hub, if not then you’ll have to take it to bits and get them replaced.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers, I’m not sure it’s worth the time as it has some other issues…although getting the desktop going again would hoover up some time also.

LsD
    Free Member

M/S/W@F. As ever…:salute:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Broken usb sockets in laptop’ is closed to new replies.