Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Broken Tib and Fib (plated and screwed) recovery and once back on bike advice
  • verbboy
    Free Member

Broke my tib and fib last week, not overly concerned with the initial no weight bearing period and have a physio referred to me so all good with the work required to get back walking etc.

I’m also happy with time off bike, one of those things and I’ll gradually work up from static to MTB over the months listening to consultant etc.

My main concern is the plate and screws that remain inside.

Anyone have experience of ways to protect the area whilst riding, particularly off road as the likely hood of a crash is a bit higher! I’m happy to bridleway a bit more and not push on the descents too hard until the plates come out but if there is any tips / advice I’d happily take them on board. I love a gnarly descent but in the end I just love being out in the open enjoying the freedom MTBing gives us.

Thanks all!

wwaswas

until the plates come out

Have you been told they will be – they’re often not.

verbboy
    Free Member

The consultant suggested they should if I want to carry on doing silly things 😉

Dark-Side

Hey Verbboy. I broke my tib and fib too. I’m going in for what sounds like a similar op on Monday, I’ll ask about the benefits of removal/non-removal.

We should get together for a Mega – Ride of the Fallen pootle when we are back on our feet 😉

andywoodall
    Free Member

Did mine last Sept, plate and screws. They wanted to leave the screws in but one Doctor advised not given the location and my activity levels.

Been back on the bike for 7 months with no ill effects, I was off it for 4 months all in. I gather that recovery was a little slow compared to some, but felt about right to me.

Plate has stayed in.

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

I broke my Tib & Fib in 1996, I was back on a motorbike, road racing within a couple of months and had a big off at Brandshatch a month later (comedy cartwheels).

I was told originally that they’d be removed after a certain period, but when I went to the consultation they backtracked and were VERY reluctant to take them out unless they were causing a problem, which they weren’t.
    I do remember being told that if I was to break it badly again then the plates and screws would cause the bones to ‘explode’.

So they’re still in there, and they’ve been through many other falls and knocks, through M/C racing, MTB’ing, Martial arts and Gymnastics.

Maybe I’ve just been lucky?
    Don’t know if this helps at all?

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Snapped my femur about 4 years ago, plate and screws still in there, not hindered me at all.

verbboy
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

Ha Ha Dark Side that might just be a great idea.

Promised my wife I won’t be doing the mega in 2017, I couldn’t promise any longer than that!

Best of luck with the op, im not suffering any big issues post op, elevating leg as much as possible (the throb in my foot as I get up is pretty annoying but thats why it needs to stay elevated!), taking it easy for the 45 days non weight bearing and go from there. Pleased I was operated on within a few hours, uk consultant said they did a great job. I’m not in a resin cast as opposed to the heavy plaster cast I had in France, allows the UK hospital to regularly check and clean the damaged shin. Should result in an interesting scar!

Dark-Side

Nice one Verbboy. I’m in Monday for mine, they considered operating Sunday but the swelling was too great at that point. My wife is actually o with me going back next year, we’l see if that attitude changes after 3 months of waiting on me!

santacruzsi
    Free Member

I broke my ankle in May and had two pins and a plate put in. It was the Talus bone I broke and ligament damage also.

The consultant said he prefers to remove them as where they are and the amount of stress then *can* snap , and he says after two months they’ve done their job. He will leave the plate in though. I’m having them out on 8th August with a local anaesthetic. ( awake!) consultant said there’s no reason why I can’t get back to doing the sports I was doing before I broke it. I broke my ankle fell running.

I was using my turbo trainer after 6 weeks of none weight bearing and walking on it now. I feel my ankle is some what restricted and feel pin removal should help with more flexibility,

Goldigger
    Free Member

Broke both femurs, left tib and fib.
    Nail through the tib was removed as it was causing pain in my knee at full extension. The titanium nail was protruding the tib slightly.
    Have had some screws removed from the femurs as they were aggravating the muscles in that area. VMO’s being the worst, the screws were to long and the tips were protruding out of the bone.

I was also told if I had a serious accident the metal work could bend with enough force, and that would mess the bone up completely.

I also had a surgeon back out at the last minute after I had fasted and waited all day at the hospital to have the tibia nail taken out. (Rod that goes through the middle of the bone)
    Got another surgeon to do it a few months later.

I now suffer with my knees as the bone alignment causes me to put more pressure on the inside of my knee joints.

andyv
    Free Member

I’ve got a tibia nail (rod down the centre of the bone knee to ankle) with two screws at the top and two at the bottom. Its been in for 20+years with no issue and I ride a lot, including enthusiastic downhill (also WW Kayak and have Motor raced).

Its been no problem besides a bit of stiffness on cold mornings. When I left the hospital after having it fitted I was asked if I was a motorbike rider, This was because in an accident the bar could get bent and apparently its much easier to take out straight!

After the pain of getting it in there I didn’t fancy repeating to get it removed so left it in.

verbboy
    Free Member

Nice one Verbboy. I’m in Monday for mine, they considered operating Sunday but the swelling was too great at that point. My wife is actually o with me going back next year, we’l see if that attitude changes after 3 months of waiting on me!

Sound nasty so what happened? Its only about 45 days I think of being waited on!

I’m not the lightest human in the world so I’ve decided to get much fitter for the next mega I do, the uphill bits seemed to be a great place to pass people (when practicing I was getting destroyed by people who I’d passed DH on the ups!). I have a few other targets for next year so the mega can wait a year or two 🙂 At least I know the medical care is great!

curvature
    Free Member

Did the same two years ago at the end of July.

Plate with 7 screws and had 3 different casts, then a brace until November. Got back on the bike late December.

I’m fine on a bike now but sometimes struggle if I sit in the same position for a while such as a long car journey. First thing in the morning is also awkward and running hurts.

Good luck.

large418
    Free Member

Did my tib and fib 6 years ago (at Mountain Mayhem), the plate is still in.

The way i would describe mine is for 99% of what i do, walking, biking, circuits etc etc, there is no issue at all. If i try running for a few miles, it isnt comfortable, and i think its because the bone is rigid where the plate is, and flexible elsewhere, and there is almost a bending moment where the plate ends. I think this causes discomfort.

Also, depending on where your plate is it can cause cold or dAmp weather to get to your bones. I am lucky as my plate is buried under muscle so doesnt get cold.

My son on the other hand has screws in his ankle And after 18 months one of the screws has broken and caused a further break in his ankle. That screw gets removed in a few weeks.

I think the point is that we can all give you our tales of good or wo, but your break could be different and you could recover quickly or slowly, depending on lots of factors. Follow the surgeon / physio advice to the letter.

julzm
    Free Member

Did my Tib and fib 21st may, so 8 weeks tomorrow. Plated and pinned next day. Was non weight bearing for 6 weeks which drove me nuts as I hated being dependent on others.

Got cast off 2 weeks ago today and was told to “get up and walk” albeit with crutches for first 10 days. Been walking unaided for last week and done some turbo sessions. Been going to physio throughout. When I went in on Monday, she thought I was at 10 week point and was amazed I was actually only at 7 weeks then.

Pluses:
    Back on bike quicker than I thought
    Physio says at 12 weeks I can do what I want
    Got more ‘away’ movement than I expected at this point

Negatives:
    Swells up as the day goes on, shoes become tight and uncomfortable
    Hurts like hell if someone bangs it and it moves sideways for any reason (boss stood on it first day back at work!)
    Can’t yet get it past 90deg point so dipped heels may be a problem.
    Not sure if I can go back to clipped in yet

I’m going for a path ride on the road bike this weekend so will report back.

verbboy
    Free Member

Thanks, all very useful.

My light cast allows me a bit of movement in my ankle so I’m trying to move it regularly.

Being less dependent is going to be great, I work from home so I’m very used to being an almost FT parent and now I cant do much.

Hadn’t considered not being able to clip in, thats weird never ridden with flats.

I don’t run so less worried about that.

Sounds like the sooner the plate can come out the better.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Hadn’t considered not being able to clip in, thats weird never ridden with flats.

Did mine last year, double fibula, single tibia breaks, pinned and plated both sides had to replace my keo blades with cheaper ones with adjustable tension, can just click out at 9nm – mtb ones are no issue

I found the psychological bit harder to deal with than the actual pshyical injury

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Sounds like the sooner the plate can come out the better.

I thought the consensus was that unless it’s causing an issue, then it stays in

julzm
    Free Member

Wee update.

8 weeks exactly since mine was operated on, I’ve managed a 20 mile road bike ride. Mostly flat but on road, average was only 10.5 but I was taking it easy and had to walk through a park where there was a festival taking place.

It was generally fine – but care was needed for any stopping / starting as couldn’t totally push through the pedal stroke if it was in difficult gear. Helped with gear selection though and ensured high cadence. Also, don’t seem to have lost loads of fitness – got up two hill sections no problem.

Saw physio today – she can’t believe how well the recovery is going.

Main message is, it nowhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be or as I’d been led to exoect. Once I’d gotten the cast off, things got a lot better fairly quickly.

Good luck OP.

verbboy
    Free Member

Thanks Julzm, sounds like a great recovery well done.

Trying to flex my ankle more in the cast, wound is still a bit “interesting” but fortunately my hospital are on top of it 🙂

At least I’m not in any pain!

The french said static bike after 8 weeks but if I can a road ride would be cool!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Broken Tib and Fib (plated and screwed) recovery and once back on bike advice’ is closed to new replies.