Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Broken Tabs on Garmin 500 – fixable?
  • Jase
    Free Member

The tabs on the back of my Garmin 500 have broken off on one side and whilst it is still ok in the mount I’m worried that if I hit a pot hole or anything it will fly off.

It’s coming up for 4 years old.

Anyone know if it’s possible to fix (not called Garmin yet).

Cheers.

petrieboy

Low cost option would be to just epoxy it permenantly into the mount. You should be able to get to the rubber bands with the computer in place, but it will be a bit fiddly.

atlaz
    Free Member

Yeah, I’d glue it into the mounts and remove it using the elastic bands if I needed to

DT78
    Free Member

Phone Garmin they will probably repair it for not very much…

Added advantage (for me) is the service centre is in southampton.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I did the same recently and I contacted Garmin and they very kindly sent me a replacement unit.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I’m sure they replace units with snapped tabs FOC (I maybe wrong though)

nickb

@reggiegasket – that’s interesting. I have a leaking Garmin 800 that they are refusing to replace unless I pay them a £74 replacement charge. Did they replace your 500 for free?

Thanks
    Nick

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Yes. I just posted it out to them recorded delivery, so cost me about £4. It was well outside the warranty period too, maybe three years old?

I did it all via the website, not the ‘phone, so I’d already .. what’s the phrase.. ‘registered’ the unit online with them. Maybe that helps?

Jase
    Free Member

I did wonder about gluing to mount but wasn’t sure if I’d still be able to get to the USB.

Promising hearing about the foc replacements, will have a look on their website.

Cheers

nickb

@reddiegasket – thanks for the update.

I’ve also registered my 800 online (I did it when new in Oct 2012), and it’s leaked all it’s life but I’ve generally avoided cycling in the rain… until the past few weeks when it’s been unavoidable!

I’ve used their phone support and their email support via the website – both are being unhelpful and unresponsive 🙁

Despite the positive stories I’ve heard about Garmin support, I remain very unimpressed.

Cheers,
    Nick

gwaelod
    Free Member

I’d be tempted to try some sugru on it and use that to mount it to the stem

http://sugru.com/magnet-kit

Jase
    Free Member

Tried the online route but failed.

They’ll replace for £68 which is fair enough.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Broken Tabs on Garmin 500 – fixable?’ is closed to new replies.