Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Broken spoke and wheel wobble
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Broke a spoke this afternoon and didn’t have the tools with me for a full repair. So wrapped broken spoke around the next one and that did me until I got home. But I noticed that the wheel was running very strangely – helped by red and black nobby niks showing up the wobble nicely. Most disconcerting as made my way home mostly on road with a couple of steep hills and fast cars and kept looking at this wobbly back wheel. Stopped several times to check I had put it back correctly, everything tightened etc (tick) and that was fine. But looked weird all the way home.

Is that normal?

What tool to you use to make trail side repair – I guess something to snip the broken spoke off?

jota180
    Free Member

Is that normal?

yup

What tool to you use to make trail side repair – I guess something to snip the broken spoke off?

Just do what you did and head home

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

It seems a bit amateurish to bodge the broken spoke around another one though. Had it once on a road bike and that was a real pain as the broken spoke wouldn’t cooperate!

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

i would wrap it round another spoke.

whilst having a break i might try and remove it by freeing it from the nipple, but more than likely leave it till i get home

JoeG
    Free Member

Dragging around a tool that would be capable of cutting a broken spoke would be crazy IMO unless it happens to you all of the time. If it does, you have the wrong wheels for your riding or they are poorly built.

If I broke a spoke, I would have done exactly as you did. Maybe a ziptie or some tape to hold the broken spoke to another spoke.

Junkyard
    Free Member

once did 6 drive side spokes all at once on my rear wheel on the road bike…that was rather wobbly even when using the bike as a scooter

you do what you did basically

hazza123
    Free Member

It’s normal for the wheel to wobble if it’s missing a spoke or two (or more) because it’s out of true because there is no tension/less tension to keep it straight.

Northwind

Sometimes it’s possible to just remove the spoke.

ssboggy

Careful cutting the broken spoke, one of mine broke today on the drive side rear at the nipple end and to stop it going in the chain i cut it as close to the cassette as possible, big mistake, the short bit left went into the cassette and effectively stopped the rear wheel freewheeling.
    Luckily one of my mates had some tape so when we eventually fished it out we taped it to another spoke, which is what i should have done in the first place 😳

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Broken spoke and wheel wobble’ is closed to new replies.