Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • broken shoulder/collar bone/ribs – one year on
  • MadBillMcMad

Just wonderring how other people are doing with similar injuries…here is my story

So 12 months a go me & a tree became very close friends.

The collarbone appeared to be the worst injury, – was allowed to heal with no surgery, lots of physio. The shoulder blade was ‘just’ a crack – so how bad can that be !

It took about 2 months to get to me riding again, chuffed with that.
    3 months before I was swimming again. I swim a reasonable amount – 3 miles a week.

12 months on (Now):
    – No pain from collar bone at all.
    – The issue appears to be my shoulder blade is still slightly ‘winging’
    – MTBing is absolutely fine.
    – Swimming is mostly fine – just get a twinge now & again in the shoulder blade.
    – Road riding definitely causes shoulder blade pain.
    – Sitting in plastic chairs is still really bad (cos of the winging).

I should add I am 51 (if that is relevant) & still doing some/most of the exercises on a (mainly) daily basis.

BigJohn

Your doc might refer you for an xray. If you see a physio privately he will tell you its a job for him. Ditto a chiropractor and an osteopath.
    The answer might be through one of them.

My bet is you’ve got all lopsided and that’s where the pain is coming from but my opinion is worthless. Even if its right.

I’m up to about £200 on chiropractors bills for my back and its been worth it.

selaciosa
    Free Member

Broken humorous last July, took me til October until I could ride again – but really laid of it until the new year anyway to build up slow.

It’s only now I’m starting to feel closer to 100% – still need to do plenty of strength work but out of the blue the other day found that I can do tricep dips again which I’m well happy about… even up to a month or so ago I really struggled with em.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Just cracked one rib on Bank holiday Monday when I decked the motorbike so don’t know how long that takes to heal up???.Am 51 did go to work Tues/Wed/then got to painfull.Not so bad now easy to walk not bend or stretch.Hay Ho not tried cycling since going to work on Wednesday.

timmys

– MTBing is absolutely fine.
    – Road riding definitely causes shoulder blade pain.

What’s the problem again?

poah
    Free Member

I’ve just done a similar thing a couple of weeks ago. broke collar bone at the sternoclavicular joint, cracked ribs and damaged a load of soft tissue around my back and shoulder. most of the time its fine but lying down is pretty painful and I’m really sore when I wake up during the night. hopefully the pain will pass in the next couple of weeks. Doc said end of july when I can get back on my mountain bike.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

– The issue appears to be my shoulder blade is still slightly ‘winging’

That’s probably never going to be perfect given that your collar bone is now shorter. You remember the exercise you’ll have been given where you had to pull your shoulder blades together and hold them there? That’s the one you need to be doing more off to try and stop the winging.

Scapegoat

Did my shoulder blade in 1993. I still get the occasional twinge, and my shoulder “dropped” an inch or so as a result.

A fortnight ago I too broke my collar bone, snapped near to the shoulder and partially tore the sternoclavicular thingummy as well. A floating bone fragment meant the surgeon was keen to get it plated. Thankfully. A fortnight on and I get a bit of pain and tenderness, but virtually full movement in my shoulder.

However, at the same time I landed on my hip. I already had a bad hip thanks to a cam impingement, diagnosed several years ago and managed up until now using pain killers. I have a huge haematoma on the outside of the hip, with bruising and inflammation spread right through my pelvis into the other hip. The pain in my groin and hip is so bad that where I used to take 30mg of codeine twice or three times a day if it got bad, I now need 60mg up to four times a day. I can’t walk without limping, and so slowly and lopsided that the kids are taking the piss. 👿

I too am 51. I’ve broken various ribs, vertebrae, sternum, and other bits and pieces over the years, playing judo, rugby, mountainbiking and motorcycling and for the last four or five fractures I haven’t even taken time off work, as most of them can be shrugged off with painkillers. This one has floored me though. I have never been in such constant and bothersome pain. Mrs Scape tells me it’s because I’m getting old, and she may have a point. Bizarrely, I did this on a flat straight piece of tarmac on a road bike. Bloody things.

smartay

Hi
    broke my scapula below shoulder joint, snapped off. No surgery
    Visually narrower on that side to top of shoulder, nerve damage electric shock down arm when putting on rucksack etc and yescsome winging
    you mention physio, only shoulder rotation given

smartay

Sorry this happened 7yrs ago

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘broken shoulder/collar bone/ribs – one year on’ is closed to new replies.