Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • broken screen on 3GS
  • TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

So the Mrs dropped her iPhone today and broke the screen.

There are loads of DIY kits on eBay, some for as little as £6. Just wondering if anyone here has repaired theirs or has a recommendation for a good kit.

Thanking you in advance

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think (but not entirely sure) that you’ll have to spend more than £6 to fix it, as it’s too much arsing around to fix the screen alone and you have to buy the digitizer thing with it – so you might be looking at £30-40 ish I think.

I used this crowd: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/fixmiphone when we both broke our rear screens on our 4s. Their service was good and the screens appeared to be original parts. I notice they don’t have any 3GS screens for sale, but it’s worth dropping them a line and asking as they may have some in stock.

I’m no expert in screen reapir, but mrs deadly has just smashed her front screen, so the above is what I picked up while trying to find a replacement part.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Prices seem to range from £6-30 for full kits once digitizer and tools. Some do a complete repair service for 16 quid

wrightyson
    Free Member

Book It in at the apple store, smile nicely and they’ll probably do it for free. If it has any warranty left you will devoid it by tinkering!!

Cougar

That. ^^

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

No warranty, bought it as new off a friend who did an upgrade when it was released. Probably 2.5 years old now

CountZero

I don’t know where she got them from, or how much for, but one of the girls at work has broken her 3Gs screen three times this year! She got one of her colleagues to replace the screens, thinks he’s got it down to about twenty minutes now… 😆
    I’ll ask her tomorrow where from, and how much for, if you like.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Cheers, there are hundreds on eBay, most look the same really. But for so little cash, I’m wondering If they’re any good considering how much the phones cost.

petrieboy

It’s easy. If the digitiser is ok then a <£10 screen is all you need. I couldn’t recommend the eBay seller I used as the delivery was a bit slow but the £8 screen is spot on.

I only had to replace the screen as I broke it removing it from a broken digitiser, but that was following dodgy instructions. Putting it back together was no problem and I could do it blindfolded next time.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Book It in at the apple store, smile nicely and they’ll probably do it for free.

wont happen

smiled nicely at the same time as buying an iPad with my 4S
    £129 please sir

to replace the cracked screen

declined the offer

Swelper
    Free Member

Yep, just replaced mine. Initially the screen was smashed so got new screen only, what a chew on getting it off, once replaced it never looked or worked correctly. Probably due to me playing around with the broken screen. Ended up getting the digitizer and screen as one from Ebay £26.00. A quick youtube search job done. Generally you get all the tools to do it as well

Took less than half an hour to do, just make sure all the connections are in place, even the ones you didnt have to disconnect before locking the screen in its final position

wrightyson
    Free Member

Sister in law, bosses wife and a mate all it had done for free so does happen!! Perhaps you didn’t smile enough 😉

CountZero

Daft bint at work has just broken hers for the fourth time!
    She’s getting a 4s now…

alfabus
    Free Member

I’ve repaired screens twice, once on my 3gs and once on t’missus’ 3g.

pretty easy to do, the hard bit is picking all the shattered bits of glass off of the frame.

plenty of videos online, watch them and decide if you are man enough.

the kits I bought came with the screwdrivers and prising tools you need.

Dave

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘broken screen on 3GS’ is closed to new replies.