Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Broken ribs?
  • jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Had a little off the other day, nothing spectacular but it was after the pub, for some reason I didn’t put by hands out and I landed on my chest and banged my chin. Didn’t think owt of it, just laughed and got back on. The next day I had a silly graze on my chin but no other problems, but a day or so later I have creasing pain in the left side if my rib cage, especially severe when I stretch or try to sit up from lying – does this sound like broken or bruised ribs? Is there anything to treat it?

bobbyspangles

ouch.
    could be but if you are worried best to get it checked out at the docs.

yunki
    Free Member

bruised possibly.. if they were broken you certainly wouldn’t have had a day or so to think about it!
    I’ve broke my ribs a few times, including twice whilst very drunk and the next few days can be sheer hell, even making walking difficult..

I’ve also collapsed a lung which is less painful

any shortness of breath..?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    coolhandluke
    Free Member

Get checked. After a tumble I though I’d broken my ribs (again) so just went about getting on with it. 6 weeks later it was still the same. Went to a physio and they said I had dislocated some ribs 😯

I didn’t know you could! Apparently they move like bucket handles so must locate in a sort if socket….see if you hapve any bits that stick out ( or in) when they didn’t before the crash.

Anyway, after a few sessions and a few horrible sounding / feeling crunchy type sounds / feelings it was sort or sorted.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Yeah I guessed the time delay might rule out broken bones, but no shortness of breath phew.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Unfortunately, unless you’ve got a rib displaced and poking into something else, there’s not a lot the doctor can/will do about it – just tell you to let it heal in time.

You can’t really immobilise ribs to let them heal like you would a broken bone in an arm or leg, as if they did wrap you up tight in bandages or plaster you wouldn’t be able to breathe!

Just pray you don’t get a cold and cough/sneeze a lot – that and laughing is agony!

zero-cool
    Free Member

Over the counter painkillers and try to breath normally is what I tell my patients. The days of strapping them up are long gone. You’ve most likely bruised them although the treatment is the same. Rest and pain relief.
    The au difference being that no one gives you sympathy if they’re bruised even though they hurt just as much.

Good luck. I wouldn’t bother getting them checked out by hospital or GP going by what you’ve described.

Tom KP

Drac

Possibly yes.

As you’re not sure and this is MTB forum I’d pop a long to a Walk in Centre or Minor Injuries unit to be checked out.

Failing that put a good comedy on and watch that as that better than some advice given on here.

matther01
    Free Member

Even though they maybe bruised or broken and no ‘treatment’ can be given…id still want to find out.

I took 12 weeks to recover from broken ribs and torn muscles.

Could only sleep in a sitting position…it was hell!

postierich
    Free Member

Recovering from 2 cracked ribs after a tumble on my road bike, 4 weeks without riding off road I,m going mad, should be ok for a spin on Wednesday night. Painkillers have helped but is a case of a waiting game 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

I did similar last year. Saw the doctor. He said that if nothing was sticking in or out, thenit ddidn’t matter if it was broken, crack, bruised or pulled intercostal muscle, the only cure was time. I was told that several times a day I should take ten deep breaths to fill the lungs, fully exchange the air to avoid any infection as the tendancy is to shallow breath.

My mate’s however, did all they could to try and make me laugh. I saw the doctor because after a couple of days, the pain got worse. Apparently, this is quite normal as the muscles tense up to hold it all still, as they start to relax, it moves more and hurts more.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

As others have said, IME ribs get worse before they get better, and sleeping wedged into an armchair is better than in bed.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

I went for a gentle spin this morning with the dog, a route I’d normally walk but wanted to see how it felt…. It friggin hurt! Gutted if I’m gonna be out of he game for a while.

argee

I just had similar and as stated, time is the best cure, sounds like they’re bruised, and if you’re sleeping alright then it might not be that bad, as the worst part for me was trying to sleep, as it felt like pressure was building up the longer i spent horizontal, so would be up several times and have to wander to be able to normalise my breathing, of course you may have this to look forward too!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Broken ribs?’ is closed to new replies.