Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Broken ribs
  • DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Broke 'em on the North Downs on Sunday. Meant to be training for the Kielder, how long before I can get back on the bike? Anyone got any experience or advice?

Northwind

Varies a huge amount, I've done 5 since I got back on the bike, or 3 if you prefer since it was the same pair twice on the left. One of those times I raced 10 Under the Ben the week after breaking it. Another time I took a week off riding and waited another week before going offroad. But the other time, oh my word, pure evil- I think it was 3 weeks before i got back on a bike but I couldn't really ride properly for a while after.

olie
    Free Member

Bookended 2008 with broken ribs(Jan/Sept).

Its awful but you can still ride and it shouldn't do any damage, might be a good idea to check with your doctor tho.

I managed to race at the start of March and did OK (3rd) so don't let it stop you!

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Thanks, thats actually pretty encouraging! Currently in the too sore to move / breathe phase, so good to know it's not going to be this way for ever!

spokebloke
    Free Member

If they are broken (and bruised is bad too) the general consensus is 5 weeks to heal.
    If sneezing, coughing and laughing feels like you've been shot from 3 feet away, they're probably broken.
    If it's bloody uncomfortable to sleep and is tender to the the touch they're probably just bruised.
    Broke mine in December, bruised them two weeks ago, racing this weekend. Oh joy.

T666DOM

Broke mine a week before easter, felt ok for 2 weeks then suddenly started with breathing problems, ended up with a week in hospital getting 2 litres of blood drained from my chest, nice! Six weeks after the fall back on the bike with no probs.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

T666DOM – Jesus Christ! WTF caused that? Am now paranoid…

votchy
    Free Member

Broke 5 beginning of October, didn't ride again until December, off work for 2 weeks on some loopy pain killers, maybe I'm just a wuss though 😳

SC13NT1F1C
    Free Member

Be carefull when you sleep, I re-broke mine rolling over in my sleep, 2 weeks after I broke it.

Try to stay flat on your back all night.

m_t_b
    Free Member

I bruised mine they took about 5 weeks before I could ride again , its worth getting an xray for piece of mind I was convinced I had broken them but thankfully not.

robinbetts
    Free Member

Broke mine snowboarding, and was back on the slopes 3 days later for the last day. Not advisable though! I'd give it 6 weeks rest to make sure they fully heel. If it's not painful, get out on the road before then, but avoid off road. If you don't have one, get one of those elasticated bandages to wrap tight round your chest. Helps a lot with breathing at the start.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Broken ribs’ is closed to new replies.