Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Broken rib – how long?
  • dufusdip
    Free Member

Took a tumble at fort William at the weekend and got all the hallmarks of a broken rib, about the top of the right moob.

Tried 10 miles on the road/ cycle paths on the fat bike yesterday and breathing was ok but bigger bumps sore.

Last time i broke ribs i wasn’t biking – what’s experiences regarding recovery time to get back to mountain biking?

pedalhead
    Free Member

Bad luck!

I’ve done it twice. I was riding gently within three weeks ish, but I think took six+ for full healing.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You’ve damaged a muscle, not broken a rib, 3 to 4 weeks.

dufusdip
    Free Member

Not wasted folks’ time getting it xrayed but it’s a very oddly clicky muscle then. Surprisingly similar to the pain and clickiness of my last two broken ribs… 🙂 i hope you’re right though!

pedalhead
    Free Member

Doc told me bruised/broken is all the same really with ribs. They usually don’t even bother doing an x-ray.

I definitely recommend trying not to sneeze 😯

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohh, sore.

Done it a few times, each time 4-5 weeks before the feeling suddenly disappeared..

windyg
    Free Member

Every time i have broken mine it’s been around 2-3 weeks before riding gentle on the road, 4-6 before anything offroad.
    Always make sure you are breathing as normal as possible, shallow breathing might hurt less but can bring on pneumonia if not careful.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

It took me a good 6 weeks. Several months to get over the fear of sneezing though.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Unless there’s concern of puncturing lung etc, they’ll do very little as they can do very little about it. Bruised ribs many times and one time at least suspected broken, but gave up going to doctor / hospital. Even when did it out in US the doctors said not much they can do, just have to deal with the pain. That considering they could have charged my insurance for all kinds of stuff.

Anyway, just bruised ribs I find takes months to stop hurting especially when sleeping.

onandon
    Free Member

Mine still hurts from a fall in June .

alextemper
    Free Member

Sounds like you popped the cartilage. You could probably ride on it straight away if you have good pain management but be aware it will hurt if you take another tumble.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Mine still hurts from a fall in June .

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Physio, check if they’re not dislocated. Easy to put back in, but they won’t do it alone.

fancypants
    Free Member

I’ve had a punctured / collapsed lunch. Unless you have the same tolerance for pain as Rocky you’ll know if you have one.

At the same time I had a double break in my collar bone which needed a plate and pin. However they wouldn’t do this until the lung had healed.

So I had six weeks of walking around with the middle section of bone ‘tenting’ under the skin, which was fun!

I started off riding on a static spin bike after a couple of weeks- motion is potion and it definitely helped the healing process.

Good luck!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Broken rib – how long?’ is closed to new replies.