Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Broken rib healing time?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Though I’m not sure, could be a torn chest muscle, whatever it is it’s bloody sore! Sore when taking a deep breath, coughing and sneezing is bloody painful, which is ideal just coming into hay fever season. Went out for a spin at the weekend, but climbing was really bad as I couldn’t get a proper breath in..

I had a bit of a moment at my local wee fun spot on Friday, lost a pedal coming off of a drop and tankslappered into a tree, coming to a shuddering halt.

I have ridetothesun in a matter of 12 days, not ideal….

How long before I can breathe deeply?.

perchypanther
    Free Member

6 weeks.

Clearly, I have no medical training whatsoever and taking medical advice form internet buffoons is not to be advised.

Having said that, however,…. doesn’t sound to me as if they are broken. If they were this wouldn’t have occurred to you as a possibility….

Went out for a spin at the weekend

I found the self adhesive heat patches ( 2 for a quid out of the pound shop) gave a measure of relief.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, a very leisurely 32k on the river Ayr trails, not much in the way of climbing, but makes me think it’s a muscular thing.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Not broken

You cannot get into bed or out of it after sleep with broken ribs never mind contemplate riding a bike

REST

1-2 weeks in your case I suspect and probably 90% fit /effort

Exercise will not help this injury TRUST ME- yours serial rib breaker

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That’s actually the worst bit, trying to get out of bed and getting onto my side to sleep. That and sneezing!.

bj116
    Free Member

That’s actually the worst bit, trying to get out of bed and getting onto my side to sleep. That and sneezing!.

Having to roll out of bed, and sneezing leaving me a sobbing mess. Not nice.
    Hope it heals fast!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’m in the same situation at the minute. Bruised/cracked ribs on a Lakes ride last Tuesday. Hike-a-bike over Stake Pass after was not fun!

Rode a local loop on the Wednesday night just to see how it held up…mistake!!! Very painful when throwing bike over gates and couldn’t hold a straight line down steps and drops.

Ibuprofen and rested since and now improving.
    Still painful when laying on back and when getting in/out of bed but plan to be riding Wednesday night (no hike-a-bike though)

daviek

I was told up to 6 weeks, got a couple of different strengths of cocodamol from the doctor, weaker ones didn’t do much but the strong ones took the edge off the pain at night times. Problem was that instead of waking up when I moved in bed I woke up once they wore off in a lot of pain so I’ve given up on them.
    Need to sleep on my back, can’t sleep on the sore side and on the other side it feels like somebody is sitting on my ribcage making breathing difficult.
    New frame coming this week and don’t think I’ll be fit to even build it let alone ride it for at least another week.

badnewz
    Free Member

They may not be broken, you will know in a couple of days or so, if the pain is still as bad, they are broke.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I did 2 ribs in mid December 2015. I’ve finally stopped feeling the final twinges in the last couple of weeks. I could have happily ridden hard after 3 months or so, but it’s taken 6 to be 100% again.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Broken rib healing time?’ is closed to new replies.