Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Broken rear derailleur hanger on aluminium frame – repairable?
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

The derailleur hanger snapped on my Scott road frame this morning and its a non-replaceable dropout. Frame is around 10 years old and I use it for my dry day commuter now. It is was a great frame – stiff and fast and I’m a bit sad at the moment.

So are aluminium dropouts repairable? I realize even if they are then the cost may not make it worth it.

wwaswas

dmr do a chain tug/derailleur hanger that the QR holds in place. Is there enough of the dropout left to bodge one of those onto?

You can get those emergency trailside repair ones that work the same way – maybe one of those?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ll have a look at the. Happened on the way to work so not had time to look at it properly, rear mech is destroyed so don’t hold out much hope of their being a lot of dropout left.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    slackalice
    Free Member

Single speed time if you like the frame?

Gary_M
    Free Member

well yeh I was thinking that but how do I singlespeed it without a mech hanger?

slackalice
    Free Member

Hmmm, I’m not the best person to answer that as I’m just about to embark on a SS set up myself and finding that for something that preaches simplicity, it can get really rather complicated if I allow it!!

In your situation and from what Ive gleaned thus far, there are definitely ways to do it with things like ‘magic ratio’s’ or some such, and from my searching on the Great Big SS Thread on retrobike, reading through articles on the Surly site, Velo Solo, Charlie the bike monger et al, many people seem to somehow set their’s up with vertical drop outs without tensioner’s which I’m curious about and in awe of in the same way, leaving me wondering how they manage to remove or refit the rear wheel if they puncture?

Alternatively, there are BB mounted tensioners, although aesthetics wise, they don’t do it for me personally.

Apparently, there is a faceache page called One Cog, that is a mine of information, although my visits to FB are few and the search on there I did, yielded nil points.

Sorry I can’t be of much more help, if any. Although I have found that those who do SS are an incredibly friendly bunch and very forthcoming with info and advice.

Repairng alu drop-out’s / hangers is something Ive always thought very tricky to do and it seems a shame for you to lose such a loved frame for this.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Thanks slackalice, would be great if I could singlespeed it at some point.

therevokid
    Free Member

try running it past the various frame builders/repairers like
    Argos or Mercian and see if they think the dropout can be replaced ?

Gary_M
    Free Member

The thing is my heart says get it repaired but my head says no. Its not like its a high end frame, but I do like it. Getting it repaired, and then a respray, would cost as much as buying a replacement.

gonzy
    Free Member

if it cant be repaired singlespeed is the only way forward for you. but seeing as you need the hanger to fit the singlespeed tensioner to the frame , your only option is to fit something like a blackspire stinger to the bottom bracket to take up the slack on the chain…it wont look pretty but it should work

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Broken rear derailleur hanger on aluminium frame – repairable?’ is closed to new replies.