Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Broken pedals – superb value
  • lunge

After over 3 years of regular use and having never been serviced my Shimano 520 pedals having finally died.

I ask you, is there a better value product than those pedals? £20 is in my eyes astonishing value, and even better when you concider it in the slightly over priced world of mountian biking.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It has to be said they do last well. If you'd have treated them to some grease once a year, I bet they'd still be going too. 🙂

maxray
    Free Member

Agreed.

aP
    Free Member

3 whole years? I'm still using Time ATAC pedals bought in 1996 for £50, they're now on my commuting bike and get used 200 days a year. That's value.

tinsy
    Free Member

I(my nephew now has them) got a pair still going since 2004, only get light use now but thats damn good..

Have had 959's and a dabble into Xpedo for light weight (offset the weight for the agro and poor clipping in), but when it comes to a decent pedal the 520's are superb, and I just bought me a nice shiny new white pair and pretty sure they was under £19 from CRC.

uplink
    Free Member

I ask you, is there a better value product than those pedals?

Times – 3 years is a very early failure for them

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Egg Beaters 'll do you well too.

uplink
    Free Member

Egg Beaters 'll do you well too.

you missed the 😉

Marmoset
    Free Member

I'd say it's great value – mine usually wear on the body and considering that the £20 includes cleats that usually sell for £12 then it's an £8 set of pedals that last 3 years – even better!

lunge

I should add that i suspect they are repairable and will likely be fixed, but 3 years with no maintenance is wonderful

boxelder

Agreed. Still using the equivalent I bought in 1996 (on fourth bike and fifth shoes). They're sloppy now and were £45 at the time.

allthepies
    Free Member

Only 3 yrs ? I'd be disappointed if my SPD pedals packed in after that period.

maxray
    Free Member

sigh.. 🙂

good ol STW.. only three years untouched! Mine have been going for 400 years 5000 days a year with only some sharp sand for bearing lubrication!!

oldgit
    Free Member

That's good VFM but not unusual. I'm still using 2006 Candys that have never been serviced, but I've carried out at least six services to my Eggbeaters in the same time. I can only assume the plastic body somehow takes the pressure off the bearings?

stumpy01

I put my 520's on in 2002 & they are still going strong. They've not been serviced, although the end plates are looking pretty bashed up now.

I just put a few drops of lube on the cleat mechanism after cleaning and they seem fine.
    I've got a spare pair in the shed as I needed some cleats for some new shoes & the pedals with cleats only cost £20. Seemed silly not to.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

…and there was me thinking – from the title – that this was going to be classifieds listing for some really good value secondhand pedals 😉

TooTall
    Free Member

good ol STW.. only three years untouched! Mine have been going for 400 years 5000 days a year with only some sharp sand for bearing lubrication!!

[yorkshire accent]

LUXURY!

[/yorkshire accent]

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'm still using 2006 Candys that have never been serviced

As a lover of Eggbeaters, I'd say you should get them serviced PRONTO before they fall apart on you….

cp

Times – 3 years is a very early failure for them

eh???!!! I've had 4 pairs, none of them lasted more than a year. Two spring failures, one FUBAR'd bearings, one excessive wear on springs causing foot to move about. I also got bored of buying new cleats every few months as Time insist on making them from cheese.

Shimano on the other hand… just keep going! M520's are so cheap it's not worth buying new cleats… I just buy a new pair of pedals and stick them on one of the other bikes so I don't need to keep changiing the things round.

neil853
    Free Member

egg beaters? i'm sorry but i've had two sets that have failed in just over a year with one service in that time, they are rubbish and simply do not compare to shimano reliability. Strong words but true

woffle
    Free Member

My favourite pedals are Candys but I'm now on my fourth pair – the reliability isn't great is you don't maintain them properly. I've started trying to religiously clean and grease every weekend to see whether that makes any difference…

jonk

m525's still going after 14 years

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

My M525's have been on and off the bike since 1991!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Broken pedals – superb value’ is closed to new replies.