Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Broken pawl carrier on Superstar Switch Evo rear hub. Is this a common failure?
  • mudsoul
    Free Member

So my Superstar Switch Evo rear hub just sheard at the pawl carrier on a ride yesterday. Bike is a 29er setup with 1×10. I was in the 32×36 gear on a steep incline, when a loud crack followed by a complete lack of hub engagement meant a long walk back to the trailhead.

I’ve had hubs fail before, but never like that. Has anyone had this happen to a Superstar (or other brand) hub?

I bought the hub second hand on here and I’ve generally had a good experience with their products, so not going to claim warranty or anything. Just ordered a new steel freehub. Just wondering how common this is.

Kelliesheros
    Free Member

Mine did similar (although cracked into three pieces) but it was after a lot of hard use. I too went and bought a steel replacement and it has been fine ever since.

It has not stopped me buying another set this week, although I went for.the steel option straight away this time.

iain1775
    Free Member

My mate experienced similar
    Replaced under warranty no problems

BFITH
    Free Member

Mine did exactly the same too. Replaced by SS with an ULTRA.

redted
    Free Member

The newer alloy ones (red) have more material around the pawl area as do the steel ones so you should be okay.

deviant
    Free Member

As above, replace with steel. My steel freehub from SS has lasted years without playing up.

chrisrobs
    Free Member

I went through 3 alloy ones in 2 years. Ask them to replace it with a steel one.

hambl90
    Free Member

I must be the odd one out, I’ve used these for a number of years with no problems at all .

mudsoul
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for the input. I’ve ordered a steel one.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Broken pawl carrier on Superstar Switch Evo rear hub. Is this a common failure?’ is closed to new replies.