Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • broken knee – getting fitness back
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

First proper ride (more than 5km) since breaking my elbow and knee in quick succession.

Especially with Christmas coming in the middle, I was shocked at how unfit I was.

A handful of us (co-workers) have a regualr post-school Friday (2 hour-ish) loop. I bailed half way around.

My left leg, (the one I broke), feels like I’ve just ridden a 24 hour solo race.

Should I just keep at it or are there particular things I can do to keep my body symmetrical. I don’t want to compensate by using my ‘good’ leg and make matters worse.

Thanks

edit: bloody brilliant to be back out on a bike again.

anagallis_arvensis

I’m in a similar position. Riding my road bike and trying to focus on pedalling with my bad leg as much as possible. Keeping it slow and and the cadence up. Lungs can be worried about later.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

So, just an actual effort to keep things smooth / symmetrical?

I don’t road ride and that’s harder to do on an mtb. I might have to break a personal rule of mine and go to the gym! 🙁

Stu_N

Get yourself some physio. Cycling is really bad for compensation with good side which causes all sorts of issues – lower back and pelvis/ core instability in my case.
    I wrecked my knee (ruptured patellar tendon) and ended up with about 50% deficit at point I was walking and starting to pedal. Lots of gym work (fixed weights plus squats/ lunges/ work on balance and core stuff) has got me back to where I was and sorted lower back pain I used to struggle with too. Care and maintenance now.

Sounds like you’ve had less time off bike (I was out for about 5 months) so hopefully not as much of a mess but It’s well worth getting pro help in my experience. If you can get guidance every month or so and discipline to do a program on your own its not too bad going private as NHS just covers to point you can walk. Good luck.

Sundayjumper

My Mum broke her knee last year* and is just starting physio now for load-bearing. She’s also going to spend some time on the turbo trainer for gentle movement.

* tibial plateau, she fell off on a group road ride trying to keep up with women 30+ years younger than her. She’s 70 next year. She’s a nightmare.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry too much about it, clearly your weak leg is working much harder and therefore will feel tired and sore. Keep at it and it will soon get back to normal. The golden rule in all things like this is not to overdo it too soon.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Haha. Got to love STW. Everything from keep at it through to see a professional!

I’m an ex-apt in Thailand. I’ll use the keep-at-it approach (smooth, steady and symmetrical) and see if next week is any better. If not, I’ll see if physio is included in my medical package.

Did you get any NHS help a_a?

I’m not sure if my left leg is working harder. I know (from scan results) my thigh lost 37% of its muscle whilst in a splint. I guess it’s working harder to keep up with a more normal other leg.

Your Mammy sounds great Sundayjumper. I hope she was yelling “Stravaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa” as she hit the deck! 😉

anagallis_arvensis

Did you get any NHS help a_a?

Yep in Feb fell off bike. Knee was locked due to cartilage damage. Had op. Then physio. However during op a snapped acl was see, so another op to fix that was done in september. Lots of physio following that. Now just seeing a private physio as and when I feel the need.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘broken knee – getting fitness back’ is closed to new replies.