Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • broken H/L 5 spot-help please
  • pob
    Free Member

lots of play in B/B pivot so set about fitting new bushing kit,everything fits together ok but there is 2/3mm side to side play.Any ideas?

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

You must make sure that the counter sunk headed bolts are tight into the chain stay. If they are not the whole thing will feel loose. Sometimes the only way to get them both tight is to use 2 torx tools to tighten one against the other. The other problem I have seen with these is people putting grease inside the bushing tube (to lube the threads)If there is too much grease as you tighten the bolts together the grease causes a hydraulic lock as there is no where for it to go. The bolts "feel" tight but do not pull up into the countersink bores. Hope that make sense.

khani
    Free Member

the top hats are locktighted into the frame dry with no grease and then the spiral grooved bushing is only lightly greased before fitting, if you use grease on the top hats instead of locktight they can spin in the frame and wear the ally which can be terminal, if you've done the above try the 2 hex tool thing above to tighten it up

ken_shields
    Free Member

When you do the first fitting up there is a 5 or 6 mm hex in the centre of the grooved bushing for holding the bushing while you tighten up the first torx bolt

khani – Member
    the top hats are locktighted into the frame dry

In the instructions from Turner that come with a bush kit there is no mention of loctite

pob
    Free Member

thanks,everyhing assembled correct, i think the frame is worn/dead :#(

khani
    Free Member

contact turner direct in the usa, there may be a fix you can use to sort it
    phone 0019516771711 or contact greg wolf greg@turnerbikes.com if they can help they will
    phoning worked best for me, dont forget the time differance
    good luck, i feel your pain 😥

khani
    Free Member

is it worn in the front end or the chainstay pivot
    i have a spare set of chainstays you can have for what they cost me if its that
    EDIT i mean the bb chainstay pivot not the h/link pivot

pob
    Free Member

its worn whers the bushings fit in the front triangle,B/B pivot.

khani
    Free Member

did you use new top hats when you fitted the bushing, those can wear and cause some play even with a new bushing inside
    i was told by turner to use locktight to stop the tophats rotating in older frames,

khani
    Free Member

or try a bit of coke can as a shim with some locktight to fit the tophats and take the play away

pob
    Free Member

yeah all new bits.the play is side to side as well as wobbly,its not the chainstay thats worn as the pivot sits snug.

khani
    Free Member

try a shim

pob
    Free Member

I thought of shimming it out or grinding the pivot down a little,but I reckon it wont last too long now its worn to its current state.

khani
    Free Member

were the tophats a loose fit or a tight fit? if they were a tight fit when you pressed them in it may be something else, i have heard of some bushings that were a mm or so too long or too short and resulted in symtoms like this, if they were a loose fit try a shim

Hadge
    Free Member

Sent you an email Pob ok

khani
    Free Member

a shim should'nt wear if its all locktighted in place under the tophat, the bush should spin inside the tophat instead and the shim remains static

pob
    Free Member

the frame belongs to my other 1/2,I think she is going to scrap it!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Turner US might do you a nice trade in deal if it is dead.

funkynick

Before scrapping it, undo the screws holding it together and check to make sure that the shaft does not sit proud of the bushings. If it does you could probably file/grind/machine some off until the shaft fits flush against both ends.

Or instead of grinding down the shaft, I believe the bushes are also just standard industry parts, so it should be possible to find a bush with a deeper lip on it to take up the space. I seem to remember someone on MTBR found the part number for the standard bush at some point, it might be worth having a read up on there and then looking for those.

Definitely don't think this is something worth scrapping the frame over…

Of course, if you don't want it… *whistles nonchalantly* ;o)

khani
    Free Member

i would'nt scrap it, well worth a try to save it,
    a bit of liquid metal and coke can and a file if all else fails, if the top hat isnt rotating it wont wear it anyway

Of course, if you don't want it… *whistles nonchalantly* ;o)

+1 😀

kaiser
    Free Member

khani …i think you are confused regarding the terminology relating to the pivots.
    the things that you call "top hats" are the bushes (in which the pivot shaft rotates ) you seem to imply that the shafts themselves are the bushes ….not so!!

Sanny
    Free Member

I had the same problem with the rear stays pivot on my old HL 5 Spot before I snapped the front triangle on it. I fixed the problem by hacksawing then filing the old top hat to create a shim. Used coarse then fine sandpaper and a bit of trial and error to get it to work but it solved the problem. 😀

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘broken H/L 5 spot-help please’ is closed to new replies.