Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Broken Heel
  • dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Anyone got any experiene of this? Fractured mine a couple of nights ago after taking a bit of a fall 🙁

redstripe
    Free Member

my son done his after celebrating a-level results last August (involved beer and taking a short cut over a wall), fell 25ft, lucky to be alive, completely smashed heel bone to pieces. In hospital for a while, op with lots of re-building, laid up, crutches etc. Now getting around to weight bearing and learning to walk and ride again (on spinning thing). Consultant says he should be okay by Jan, but he is young and fit, still swells up though if he is up o it too long. Ask WCA on here about ankles if you want to get depressed.
    cheers

stevego
    Free Member

I broke mine about 9 years ago rock climbing, fell about 3 foot onto the only rock on the beach. From memory it was a couple of days to a week before they put a cast on, waiting for the selling to go down a bit, then about 6 weeks in a cast and a bit longer still on crutches. I was on teacher training at the time and once I was out of plaster I would ride to one of the local schools were I was on placement carrying the crutches on the bike.
    No problems with it now, other than it bulges out a bit where I broke it and I get blisters on the bulge skiing and doing multi-day hikes. Just need to carry blister plasters. Apparently I’m in for arthritis in it eventually but no signs yet.
    Good luck with the healing

voodoo_chile

Broken calcaneum , done it painful

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Cheers Stevego.. Struggling to find stories as positive as your on the internet. I only did it a couple of days ago and know little about the intricacies of my particular break at the moment.

Good to hear of a good recovery.

Fueled
    Free Member

I did mine in April when I got knocked off my bike, seems my ankle took the impact and calcaneus fractured. You will need a CT scan to find out the specifics of the damage and what treatment is needed. Mine turned out to be a pretty good break, no surgery needed, just 8 weeks of zero weight bearing and then a bunch of physio. I was lucky, got a removeable boot rather than cast so I could wash, and after a week or so the constant pain went away. Now I am walking and cycling fine, but running more than 100m or so still hurts. You picked a good time of year to do it at least! Take up a nice sedate hobby now and hopefully you will be riding again by next summer. Its a colossal arse, but hang in there! It does get better with time…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Broken Heel’ is closed to new replies.