Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Broken frames.
  • ton

seem to be a lot of post’s on here regarding broken frames.
    are frames being made too light?.
    i have only ever broken 1 frame, and i think that was due to it probably being too small for me, with to long a seatpost in a small frame.
    what bike brands are least likely to break.
    my vote goes for the Kona hoss frame.

lipseal
    Free Member

I’ve not broke a frame yet, but I only mince about so I might not be riding them hard enough.

jedi

i have only broke one mtb frame

orangefive
    Free Member

Cracked my 5 and got a new one under crash replacement (+ £££)

singlecrack
    Free Member

I’ve never broken a frame
    and I’m not the most elegant on a bike… 🙄

saleem
    Free Member

parkesie
    Free Member

Id never broken a frame before until this one 🙁 varrious cannondales konas sunn and kinesis frames. If anything this was the heaviest frame ive had. bad luck i guess but does look like decade specced a seat tube thats to thin.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Never broken a frame in 21 years of riding. I’m overweight, go fairly rapidly over rocks & general rough stuff but, I very rarely leave the ground.
    I have snapped an XLite seatpost though. 😕

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve not broke a frame yet, but I only mince about so I might not be riding them hard enough.

+1

Northwind

Not sure it’s about too light… Lots of modern bikes are stupidly capable so we end up taking bikes that are designed as trail bikes down world cup dh routes and off to the alps for week long uplift holidays and the like. Sure they’ve got the handling and the capability for it but it’s not really what they’re for.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Mountain bike
    does that mean that we have to have a Alps bike for the Alps 😐

boxfish
    Free Member

1 x Alu hardtail & 1 x Ti hardtail broken. Neither were ragged or jumped.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I’m a fat **** and I have not broken one yet. 😀

Coleman
    Free Member

Never yet broken a frame- 25+ years mtb’ing. Some muppets on here need to learn how to ride! Are you watching MidlandTrailquestGraham.(possibly the worst rider in the world!).

rickmeister

Broken 2 Marin frames.. one an old full suss and the spindly swing arm failed.

Attack trail, pretty much all of it broke.

great back up by ATB though..

partyboy
    Free Member

9/10 broken frames are caused by poor riding technique.

chay
    Free Member

i ve broken two marin rockyridge frames and a 2008 Attack Trail frame……….God Bless Marin’s frame warranty!!

Northwind

partyboy – Member

I hope you’re going to present your working for that one 😆

Coleman
    Free Member

99/100 broken frames are caused by poor riding technique. There fixed that!

bobster
    Free Member

2 Hummers 🙁

_tom_
    Free Member

Only broken 1 frame, a Trailstar at the headtube. I think the older non-lt models were known for this so it wasn’t just me..

parkesie
    Free Member

Ive not even begun to mourn the passing of my bike and now your saying it could be all my fault!!! 😥

whinosp
    Free Member

I have snapped/broken Diamond Backs, Konas, GT Zaskars, steel and alloy cross bikes, and road bikes.

partyboy – Member

Occasionally they broke is ‘regular’ places (downtube/headtube), other broke in rather random places (Zaskar at the seattube end of the toptube, road bike on the seat tube above the top tube junction).

I would love to know what how my poor technique was killing them in these many varied ways.

Actually I think I snapped them because I used them regularly, in their intended environment, and because nothing lasts forever?

gwj72
    Free Member

Only ever snapped a bmx frame jumping. Had about half a dozen alu frames and 2 steel, all hardtail bar one. I’m 14.5 stone.

It’s got to be suspect welding hasn’t it? Or are frames snapping along the tube length? Is butting to blame?

mboy
    Free Member

Never broken a frame, broken a few components though.

The Headset fell out of my Bullit though before I sold it, was advised it had ovalised “slightly” in use… 😕

jhw
    Free Member

I’ve seen two Specialized frames killed by upflying rocks, both on the downtube right above the BB. But I think this could happen to any frame not just Specialized frames.

R.lepecha

cracked 2 of the same frames, 2nd was a warranty replacement.

Cant say it was down to bad riding, was an extremely light XC frame and I did a 1-2ft drop on it?

kimbers

snapped my kona muni mula middle of the top tube when i landed a jump badly, was definately a butting ‘thing’ but it was an xc frame out of ‘intended use’

seen a marin sheer off at the head tube in the alps guy was just pootling along some singletrack- he had just ridden down some big rocky stuff tho

also mates meta cracked above the shock mount on a peaks ride , but it was a meta

messiah
    Free Member

I’ve broken nearly every frame I’ve had… and never through bad riding or crashing… all fatigue or poor build quality.

Special_ized_Jamie

Cracked the chainstay on my old Enduro although it has now been recognised as a design flaw as the warranty replacement from Spesh was a different design

thepodge
    Free Member

who starts a thread with “I just didn’t find a crack in my frame”?

people don’t report no news

teethgrinder

Millions of years ago (well, 19) I broke my 1990 Raleigh Mirage where the seatstays joined the seat tube. 15 yeay warranty on them so could have kept and claimed for years. Had it not been a big purple gate 🙂

possibly the worst rider in the world!

What am I doing wrong then ?

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Broken frames.’ is closed to new replies.