• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by gee.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Broken frame. Can I insist on a refund, or has it got to be a replacement ?
  • There’s another thread frames, my riding style and what frame would suit me best
    This is just one simple question.

I bought a Lynskey Ridgeline 29 from CRC in June last year.
    The frame cracked around the seat tube after 11 months.
    Am I entitled to a cash refund ?

Big-Pete
    Free Member

Usual Lynskey approach is repair.
    Would have thought a refund is pie sky

trail_rat
    Free Member

well a repair is gonna involve cutting out 2 tubes at least and rewelding in new ones ….. think thats pie sky to me and not a solution i would be happy with !

Tbh since you havnt abused it and its not a typical abuse failure – id say it wasnt fit for purpose – if you can prove it wasnt fit for purpose when it was designed (ie it has failed without anything out of the ordinary) then id push for a refund

Rorschach
    Free Member

I doubt theres a definative answer in here…..probably just ‘someone’ saying “have you read the book,have you?have you?”.
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/consumer-rights-question-product-repair-or-refund

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

You can usually argue for a cash refund if you can argue the product was not fit for purpose.
    but if the product lasted 11 months and then subsequently broke, i think you’re gonna have trouble insisting that a cash refund is the solution. Best would be a replacement, 2nd best, repair. imho

I rode that bike, it was lovely btw 🙁

crazy-legs

Usually repair or replace. Your contract is with CRC, they have to send the frame back to Lynskey and see if they’re going to honour the warranty (ie is it a manufacturing defect or have you broken it by riding it into a tree).

Assuming genuine warranty, they will then either repair or replace the frame. The shop won’t want to refund you since they obviously paid less for the frame than you did, they’re losing their profit margin. On the other hand, if you ask politely, they should be prepared to move on that one – maybe not a cash refund but a credit note or put the money towards another frame, something like that.

A mate got through 3 GT LTS frames before GT refused to honour the warranty any more and got the shop to refund him – he’d been after a refund right from the time he broke the first frame but GT insisted on replacement each time.

trail_rat
    Free Member

id argue that – do you stand by that not happening again CRC ? Lynskeys are notorious for that breakage ….. what have they done to mitigate that failure ? – fack all likely !

M6TTF
    Free Member

I reckon they’ll just fillet the split and ream out the tubes? Mates just had an intense 6.6 done at bottom bracket area – seems ok so far

trail_rat
    Free Member

I reckon they’ll just fillet the split and ream out the tubes?

[devils advocate]if it was designed like that they would have built it like that … [/devils advocate]

i realise you can make welds invisible but thats not what graham paid for is it …

mrmo
    Free Member

at 11months i don’t think your looking at warranty, but rather your looking at the sales of goods act. I think it is fairly clear that a MTB breaking as per your photos within 11 months suggests something that is not fit for purpose.

comments.

No definitive answer then, even after looking through that other thread.
    I’ve emailed CRC and asked for a refund. If they won’t do that then I suppose I will have to wait a few weeks while they send it back to Lynskey for repair or replacement.

Just got an email.

Our warranty team are currently dealing with a large volume of warranty queries.

We operate a strict ‘First come First served’ process so be assured that a member of our team will be dealing with your warranty issue at the earliest opportunity.

Based on our current volume we would expect to reply to you within 4 to 5 working days.

wagenwheel

I bought a carbon bike from CRC the frame cracked when it was 6 months old, Crc tried to maker accept a larger frame as a replacement, then they offered a 2011 frame instead of a 2010, I argued that I now wanted to sell the bike and it looked bad with 2010 parts and 2011 frame. In the end I was happy to accept a full refund in the form of Crc vouchers. Also phoned consumer direct who gave me some good advice your rights vary depending on how you paid for it, and other circumstances. Have you read their terms and conditions?

There’s not much of help in the T&C.
    There’s this in the Warranty section.

In all instances we will carry out a warranty inspection & contact you with the outcome.

IN-HOUSE WARRANTY

Warranty claims will now be assessed in house by our team of CYTECH accredited technicians.
    We will examine your returned item and contact you with the options available to you..
    If your claim is found to be warrantable and we stock it we can repair/replace your item from our own stock to enable you to get biking ASAP.
    All warranty services inluding BikeRebuilds/Parts Fitting/Wheelbuilds and Repairs are first in queue and highest priority in our workshop. Current workshop turnaround times are 48 hrs.
    If deemed warrantable and a repair is not possible we will carry out your instructions as per your warranty claim form.
    BACK TO SUPPLIER WARRANTY

In many instances the manufacturer/supplier require us to return the item back for a thorough examination before repair or replacement can take place.
    If this is the case we will inform you of approximate turnaround times. Unfortunately we are at the mercy of courier delays and individual warranty turnaround times at supplier.
    We ask for your patience at this time. Current average timeframes for back to supplier warranty claims are seven to ten working days but may take longer.
    We will liaise with the supplier and work hard to keep your claim moving swiftly towards its conclusion.
    Should the claim go on longer than expected we will CONTACT YOU at the three week stage with an update saving you time and money.
    As all direct replacements from suppliers are subject to availability we will endeavor to find a suitable replacement from our stock.

I would imagine Lynskey will insist on having the frame returned for them to inspect themselves before authorising a CRC warranty claim.
    So that’s 4 to 5 days before CRC reply to me, I then post it to CRC, they post it to Lynskey, Lynskey look at it and either bodge a repair or replace it, then post it back to CRC to post to me.

I noticed the crack on Saturday morning and it lasted 12 hours at Erlestoke. I’m thinking now I might as well ride it as it is at Bristol. I don’t suppose it will get much worse.

gee
    Free Member

You are mad to ride that again. Think of what happens if it fails on a fast section…

Repair or replace – with ti it is usually repair – it was with my Titus. You won’t know the difference when it’s done.

I don’t think you can just ask for a refund as that’s not within the terms of the warranty.

GB

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Broken frame. Can I insist on a refund, or has it got to be a replacement ?’ is closed to new replies.