Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Broken finger – how long…
  • olddog

.. before I’m back riding.

Stacked my bike yesterday and somehow dislocated and broke finger. X-ray and splinted at MIU and waiting for Doc to phone me today to decide on whether I need an operation.

Assuming I don’t need surgery, what is my most optimistic chance of getting back on bike? Have Way of Roses (so basically road) in 3 weeks and 50 mile proper MTB challenge the weekend after. Any chance? Any experiences?

grahamh
    Free Member

I broke a bone in my hand a couple of years back, I was off the bike for 6 weeks.

bigblackshed

I did the same to my left ring finger in April. I’ve been in a cast and then an op to put a wire frame to stabilise the break for 6 weeks. I had the frame off this week. I’ve got very little movement it’s still too painful to ride round the block.

I’d like to be riding within a month, but that will be bimbling.

jimdubleyou

Just looking at the title, it will be a couple of mm either way 😉

Igmc

wagenwheel

I had very minor break on my left ring finger 4 weeks ago, no pins or cast (just have to have it ‘buddy strapped’.

I was at my second physio session yesterday and I’ve been told not to ride for another 3 weeks :-(. It’s still quite tender, and I don’t think I could hold on to the bars very well with it anyway.

Hope you not off the bike too long.

shermer75
    Free Member

6 weeks mostly healed, rock solid at 12. You could prob ride at 6 weeks and be fine, however you risk fracturing it again if you come off the bike.

Re: your race in 3 weeks, I would make that decision with the advice of your physio as it does depend a little on the exact nacture of your injury, but the answer may well be no. With all fractures but with hands in particular it’s always a bit of a tightrope- move too little and you’ll lose some function due to stiffness, move too much and you risk a non- or malunion (bones not knitting together).

olddog

Thanks. I guessed I would be struggling tbh. I’ll see what the doc says.

I really don’t want to risk coming off again until it’s right, and really worrying about coming off is good way of increasing risk of it happening in my experience.

theotherjonv

I broke a finger some years back playing cricket, strapped it to the next one and played the following weekend (kept wicket, too)

I would be tempted to say MTFU, but it doesn’t bend at the knuckle any longer and points out at a different angle to the rest so I must also point out that IANAD.

maccruiskeen

how long…

A bit longer than Stoner’s.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Like most bones, 6 weeks technically. I was doing gentle riding still with splint after less than that. Was index finger on one hand and little fingers on the other. Just had to brake with different fingers 😀 . I couldn’t not ride without going crazy. As I say, gentle rides, just to get out.

If you’ve got a splint and talk of an op, there’s a chance there’s ligament damage. That’s what I had on the index finger. That was way more of a concern to the doctors than the other hand which was a simple fracture. The ligament had basically torn the bone away a little, and it had to be kept in place with a splint for a long time day & night, and then still longer just at night. Was longer than 6 weeks. Then took a fair bit of physio to get the thing to bend again.

daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

Depends on the dislocation. I broke and dislocated my middle finger, was probably about 12 weeks before I could ride again and it’s still not straight 2 years later!

rOcKeTdOg

Broke a bone in my hand,strapped it up back riding in 7 days, hurt but i wanted to ride so out up with it. All fine now 5 weeks later.
    Recovery is up to how much you want to ride/risk setting things back

argoose
    Free Member

Double fracture of the left wrist. One week then a four weeks of non technical off road

Alex

‘Mallet-Finger’ last year about this time. Sustained through being slammed in a van door. No op (although it was mooted), put in a single finger splint thing for 6 weeks and then reduced usage of splint for next 4. Rode after two weeks, not too bad (ring finger but RH) as it’s pretty much ballast on the bar. Sore tho and I really didn’t want to crash on it.

Whatever, do the physio. I can bend mine about 85% compared to the other ones after doing loads of painful physio.

Good luck. Really depends on the break I think

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

4 weeks till I rode with mine, fractured middle finger. I declined to have it k wired. And just taped it.
    I’ll admit I just taped it and got on with it. Bloody hurt though for 8 weeks. And won’t straighten properly now.
    Also if someone squeezes it, it still stings 3 years since the injury. I fell over the dog and smashed it into the wall.

tinytim

It depends…!

Where are you based? If you want a mountainbiking hand surgeons opinion feel free to Mail me…

Tim
    Consultant Hand & Wrist Surgeon
    Chelsea & Westminster Hospital
    London

olddog

Thanks Tim and others. Booked in to get it wired today (LGi). Big chunk of bone at middle joint on ring finger broken off. Guess worried will not be stable if don’t re attach.

I’m hoping wired for 4 weeks, but would miss both events. Could be worse, but means I will have to run to keep fit 🙁

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Broken finger – how long…’ is closed to new replies.