Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Broken drivers car door glass- Diy repair easy? Berlingo content
  • kayak23

Got home yesterday to a nicely smashed drivers door window on my 2002 Berlingo (The Radwagon)

It’s a bit specific but just wondered if anyone here had ever had a go at doing it themselves in this model or similar and whether it’s more hassle than it’s worth.

I can get it done by Autoglass through my insurance for £100 excess, or I’ve found the glass on eBay for £35 and I have a go myself.

I did a similar thing years ago where I had to replace an electric window mechanism on an older car and don’t recall it being a total walk in the park.

Anyone replaced the glass on their car? Better off sucking up the cost of the pros?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Electric windows ?

I have window winders

Had to replace the clips that hold the glass to the regulator on my pug partner

Was a case of remove winder , door handle ( pry off a cover and take out the screws) then a trim pry ( can recomend the kit from sykes pickavent – did not damage anything)

Once your in there wind the window up about 2/3rds and this should place the plastic clips in the gaps of the door frame so you can unclip the glass – which is push in a button and lift it out.

The bit im unsure of is how you will get the glass out the door …. Iirc it must involve removing the runners and door seals – infact thinking about it …. 100 quid sounds like a good deal.

kayak23

Yeah, electric Windows.
    I am tempted just to get it done. The one I had to do years ago was never quite the same. 😕

It was parked in a communal car park where I live and the gardeners had been round strimming apparently.

Just really gutted as money is too tight to mention, and annoyed the gardeners didn’t own up.

trail_rat
    Free Member

100 quid for your knuckles …..

Dependsi if you have your own tools i guess .i always screw that bit up. See the parts are cheap and then. Spend 50 quid on the required tools ….. Latest being a balljoint splitter and a 35-45 mm steering rack knuckle socket. – boom 50 quid to fit a 10 quid part.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Yes it’s an easy job you need a trim removal tool/30 torqs 20 torqs and a 10mm socket and extension, the mistake some people make is to not clean out the glass from the cable runners and glass guides, they force a new glass in a damage the motor, also don’t use any type of lube because it will work great at first but cause all the felt in the runners to fall off and glass on rubber wont slide. Also a nice new razor blade to remove the water proof sealing sheet, if you carefully pull it away and cut at the glue it can easily be reused.

kayak23

Hmmm… In two minds now. The skinflint practical side of me says have a go… Cheers for the advice folks.

It’s easier than you’d think. As long as you have what chrisdiesel mentions* it won’t take more than an hour.

*You can get away without a trim removal tool.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Trim removal tool = plastic tyre lever no?

trail_rat
    Free Member

it can do but much much easier with a big flat plastic lever with a V notch in it that you can put round the pin.

saves breaking the plastic pins

Edric64
    Free Member

It isnt that bad a job .The last one I did was an old Polo allow an hour or so .

kayak23

Cheers folks. You’ve convinced me!
    I’m going to cancel Autoglass…
    🙂

kayak23

Got a glass panel from a breakers for twenty notes today, fitted this eve, works fine, perfect.
    Saved me about 75 quid that.
    Thanks for the tips. 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Good news !

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Broken drivers car door glass- Diy repair easy? Berlingo content’ is closed to new replies.