Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Broken collarbone.
  • dan1980
    Free Member

I came off my motorbike at 40 mph and have snapped my clavicle!

Consultant at the fracture clinic ummed and ahhed about adding some mechano and wanted to wait 2 weeks to see what happens.

As highly trained medical professionals I thought Id seek STWs opinion on whether I should push for a plate or not… Experiences and horror stories welcome!

X-ray below 🙂

loddrik
    Free Member

Broke mine in Ibiza 17 years ago. Didn’t have an E111 or health insurance. Just put it in a home made sling and let time take its course. Bloody painful for 6 weeks. Took a few months to heal and I have a bump where it fused but after a year or so I felt no particular bad effects from it.

MikeWW
    Free Member

Had a similar break. Time to heal is related to the gap between the 2 parts of the clavicle so it is likely to take some time. Depends on your age but it could be a good 4-6 months to heal if left. Personally I would look to get that plated ASAP. Quicker to heal normally and you wont be left with one collar bone shorter than the other.

chris_db
    Free Member

I did mine the same (motorbike). It didn’t heal properly and I was down for a bone graft and plate. However I moved house and the invite for the op never reached me (it was in the nineties – no mobile phones). Eventually went back to hospital and it had healed wonky, now have a .5cm vertical lump in the bone where the central piece sticks up.

I then broke the other one twice on my mtb and thats the size of a banana!!

Anyway, the quack told me that the risk with the collar bone is that the brachial plexus (nerves to the arm) sits very close to it. When people lose the use of an arm it’s often due to damage to this by the collar bone breaking… Fitting a plate / graft / screws has some risk associated with damage to the
    nerves. However this doesn’t stop professional athletes having a plate fitted so they can get back on with it…

So, do I wish I’d had a plate fitted? Yes, because my left arm is now shorter than my right and I’m always thinking I don’t have my bars on straight!

Chris

headpotdog
    Free Member

I broke mine about 3 years ago and my consultant didn’t recommend plating clavicles unless absolutely necessary. His guideline was whether it was either sticking through the skin, or I needed a straight clavical for sporting or cosmetic reasons. As I’m not a sporting hero or a model, I didn’t meet his criteria!

Anyway, mine had broken into 3 pieces too, so I was very sceptical about it healing properly without surgery, but I took his advice and after about 6 weeks with my arm in slings (figure of 8’s and conventional ones for comfort), sure enough it managed to fuse itself back together and after a few weeks of self administered physio I was back to normal again. Just a nice sized bump on my shoulder to show for it 🙂

In hindsight I’m really glad that I didn’t go down the surgery route as my consultant also said that the surgical plates put on broken clavicals can sometimes do more damage to the bone if you fall on them again, where as a naturally healed bone will be stronger on the break point than it was before. Gives me some peace of mind each time I take a tumble on the bike now anyway!

jet26
    Free Member

The short answer to this is the evidence is mixed on whether you should fix any clavicles – and if you are what the criteria for this should be.

There is far from uniform agreement amongst orthopods on how to treat.

To give another side of the argument – surgery does not have a 100% success rate, and things can rarely go far from well.

Feel free to message me if you want.

James (I am an orthopod)

seosamh77
    Free Member

Never got mine done, it was only one break in the middle though, so has set alright, mind you my right clavical is kinda v shaped now and protrudes out a abit, but I can’t say it’s ever caused me any bother 15 years later.

Took mine about 3 months to heal properly(started getting decent usage of it back after about a month an a half though), but it wasn’t till about 9 to 12 months later that I was confident of taking a whack on that side.

Took a proper dunt to my right shoulder last month(front wheel wipeout, landed heavily on my shoulder), which was fine, f’d myself up in other ways, but the clavical stayed strong, it’s probably stronger now than it was and it’s definitely much thicker at the join, thankfully!

rewski
    Free Member

My clavicle was severely fractured and displaced, almost compound, I had to go down the surgery route with a hook plate straight away, it was pretty painful and had to have it removed after 6 months. The worst bit was seeing my wife and kids traumatised by it, and the dark moods from the pain killers especially tramadol.

sobriety
    Free Member

I did my acj back in March, totally displace the collar bone, but didn’t break it. Had to have a titanium screw put in and false ligaments attached to keep everything in place. Was totally worth is as it’s now as good as it was before the injury, other than a lump where the screw is that makes hugs uncomfortable.

Also, I found tramadol/codiene bloody awesome 😉

comedyphil
    Free Member

Broke mine in April in an unplanned dismount from my bike – had the op the next day and had a plate put in. Mine was quite severley displaced – very tented, to the point of almost breaking through the skin.

36 hours after the break, I was discharged from the hospital with what felt like complete use of my arm. Able to drive, felt like I would’ve been ok to cycle (didn’t risk it though), it was as if the injury had never happened. So from that point of view, it’s excellent – meant the break had minimal impact on my day to day life.

However, it can now be a little uncomfortable when wearing a rucksack, for example. Rubs on the thin skin over the plate and causes an admittedly small degree of discomfort. However, without having the plate put in, I doubt I’d be wearing a rucksack at all yet!

So if they’re on the fence, I’d personally be pushing for the operation

MadBillMcMad

did my clavicle 13 weeks ago + broken shoulder blade & 2 ribs – It was a big tree !

My story is almost as headpotdog. The Doc said he would only really want to operate if there was a skin break & there wasn’t.

So 13 weeks on, I started biking 4 weeks ago & swimming 2 weeks ago.
    No pain unless I sit in a white plastic chair.

Otherwise, it aches a bit & the shoulderblade wings a bit still, but you have not got that so no worries there.

I went to a private physio mate (Bartek in Bury) who gave me loads of isometric exercises to do & I would thoroughly reccomend that & start early, IE now.

For me I just need to find my MOJO – now where did I put it.

Good luck

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Broke mine into 3 a couple of years ago snowboarding. Had it screwed and plated. Had full range of mobility back immediately, 2 weeks later it was fine to do most tasks and was feeling almost back to normal within 4 weeks.

Would definitely recommend getting it plated if you can, plus you end up with a scar….

…and we all know that chicks dig scars.

mrlugz
    Free Member

got mine plated when it snapped about 4 years ago.

Got a mild infection treated with antibiotics, and it was strong pretty much straight away.

I now have issues wearing a seatbelt as it presses on the plate and is uncomfortable on long trips.

I also get issues with certain rucksacks.

And airport security. 🙂

Big-M
    Free Member

Don’t plate, go and see this guy, http://www.physioclinic.net/ he has a fantastic reputation, his waiting room is full of cards from most of the UK’s top super bike racers. He’s known as the bone welder and has a very good reputation.

A mate of mine broke his collarbone, went to see Brian and was racing the TT 10 days later.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve long suspected the reason most of us NHS-treated lot aren’t offered surgery is a question of cost. Why have an expensive op when in many cases nature will do the job itself?

I’m 2 years down the line since I did my collarbone and had no op. I stayed off the bike for 3 months but had no problems when I started riding again. I do have an obvious lump though, and it can mean a little discomfort with rucsacs and the like.

digga
    Free Member

Get a plate and make sure they also check/repair any damage to the AC ligament at the same time. Also make sure they then remove the plate once healed – it’s a quick op, but they often argue the toss about doing it but, as an engineer, there was no way I wanted to experience another crash with metalwork adding to the carnage. HTH

Go big or go home (Les Arcs):

dawson

I did mine last Monday night – went OTB not a scratch on my arms or shoulders, but broke collarbone. Initial diagnosis was that I had broken it in 2 places, but when I went to fracture clinic on Friday – it seems its only broken in one place – but it is at the same point as a previous break.

It feels loads better already, but I occasionally feel the crunch of bones grating together.

I have a blue sling, with a strap that goes round my back as well as the strap that goes over your shoulder

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Mrs MR did hers this year – quite nasty, tented skin, took us ages (and much sending home with sling and painkillers) plus second opinion to get a useful x-ray and see that it was actually in 5 crazy pieces, risk of subclavian (sp?) artery or vein damage (which in most cases is lights-out time) from fragmentation – and part of the shoulder broken also

5 hour op later with special Ti plate for thin bone and she was sent on her way. Months later it’s still giving pain, still can’t drive, arthritis setting in. Physio infrequent because of severity. Not a good show but she’s a special case with existing bone problems. Hope all goes well whatever you decide.

*EDIT – I became an expert in blue-sling assembly, not least because no-one at the hospital seemed to have a real clue how to work it, even with the instruction sheet!

Tracey

We got a phone call whilst on the way back from the Alps on Saturday from Katie who was in A and E. She had broken hers whilst kiting earlier that day. She was at the fracture clinic yesterday who have said to let nature take its course. Wish it was as easy to mend carbon frames.

Speeder

Based on my and my dad’s experience I’d go for surgery. I’ve broken both of mine and while the first one fixed up quite quickly (I was back at work within a couple of days and went to Morzine 6 weeks later) the 2nd was a major pain and took about 2 months just to stop flexing. I’ve got a big lump on both shoulders and they look f’ing terrible and i can’t stand touching them. If I won the lottery it’s the first thing I’d inquire about. I hate them.

My dad had a far worse experience. He broke his motorbike racing probably 8 years ago and it’s never joined. He’s got a dropped shoulder and sometimes when he flexes it the bone sticks right out. OK he’s an old school ah just get on with it type but being as doctors have seen it and said “that’s not right” but he’s not been referred for it. That could be related to his age though as he is 70 something.

jimw
    Free Member

A number of threads on this can be found under search.
    To recap. my experience, Broke mine in 2009, despite being told it had healed found 18 months later complete non-union, had it plated. Four months later on the bike again, two and a half years later no significant issues. what took longest was getting my head round the fear of falling off. Wish I had had it done at the time of the initial fracture.

alexxx
    Free Member

Hi mate, I wont read the above as I’m lazy but thought I’d chirp up as I’ve done 2.

The first I did was like your xray – the doc wanted to leave it… I wasn’t sure.. anyway its set fine giving full range of motion but my shoulder is set in about 1cm or so after all healing so you will likely have the same. Its not easily spotted unless you look for it with your top off. The batwing point of the collar bone is much easier to see.

Mine actually came through the skin after a week or so – leaving me having an operation but again it was fusing too fast so they left it do their thing without a plate.

The second time it broke much cleaner and I didn’t even bother going to the docs and just rested it up.

They heal quick – would I go for the plate next time … for vanity reasons yes but it doesn’t make much physical difference.

I actually had my shoulder operated on with skrews and plates and bone grafts and that also healed quick but it does feel like the metal work is a little sensitive to the cold.

docrobster
    Free Member

Just to add my name to the list of stwers who have broken their collarbones I’m 13 weeks down the line from mine. I snapped it about 8 foot short of the finish line at steel city DH.
    Not been operated on. Feels ok to ride again now. Mine was similarly displace to op but with a couple more fragments.
    Explanation I was given was if not shortened and less than one clavicle’s width gap it doesn’t need plating. If I’d pushed for it they would have but I was keen to avoid time off work.
    I was surprised at the lack of callus visible on xray at 6 weeks but apparently most he by fibrous non union.
    I’m going back for another xray in 2 weeks. They were going to discharge me at 6 weeks until I asked when I could go mountain biking again.
    It’s been a frustrating summer.

onewheelgood

I did mine at Mayhem – by mid-September it still wasn’t healing as the end were just too far apart. By that stage there was no pain. The doc said I could spend the rest of my life without a collar bone or get it plated. I did, and a year later had the plate out again as he said that as unicyclist, mtb-er and occasional skier I was pretty likely to break it again, and I was better off doing that without a plate in.

hainman
    Free Member

Done mine 2months ago and 2 ribs and its still a bit sore,I find when i try to lift even a cup of Coffee i struggle with pain down the back of my upper arm,I was back working after 4 weeks but light duties,Due back to see the Ortho in 2 weeks and hopefully i get some good news,I broke mine kinda like it split in 2 instead of snap,so its doubles in width,Always |para when i feel niggles thinking ive done something but hopefully its all knitted together

RobHilton
    Free Member

Big M – Member
    Don’t plate, go and see this guy, http://www.physioclinic.net/

That’s where I’ll be off to should I bust it a third time. OP’s I’d wanted plated from my experience. Horrendously painful coming round from the op, but at least you get given some powerful drugs.

LardLover
    Free Member

MadBillMcMad – Member

did my clavicle 13 weeks ago + broken shoulder blade & 2 ribs – It was a big tree !

Wow MadBillMcBad, nearly identical injuries to me but I’ll see your clavicle, shoulder blade and 2 ribs and I’ll raise you another 2 ribs and a wrist (opposite side) 🙂

Managed conservatively.

Managed to get back on the turbo trainer after about 3wks (was surprisingly comfortable) and now just back on the bike after 6wks, first ride yesterday (in Majorca!). Going out for a longer ride today, once it dries up 🙁

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Broken collarbone.’ is closed to new replies.