Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Broken collar bone
  • alpineride
    Free Member

Hi All

I broke my collarbone a couple of months ago. When my doc saw the 4 week x-ray he said that it was too misaligned and needed pinning. So I went to see a surgeon who initially said if it is no better in a fortnight then he was going to operate. A fortnight later it was no better, so he said to go and get a bone scan. Another two weeks passed and then armed with the bone scan, and the letter from the scanner saying that there was no evidence of healing he said to wait a month and get another scan.

I am not sure what to think, is he stalling becaues we are in france and he is about to have a months summer holiday? should I push for the op, should I wait? Does anyone have any experience in broken collarbones? I have just qualified both as an offshore rope access worker and as an international mountain leader, both of which need my shoulder in tip top shape, so I am not able to earn at the moment either.

Cheers for any advice

pics of the x-rays and scans here
    http://philingle.com/mountain-bike/collarbone-issues/

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Its pretty much what mine looked like when I broke mine. NHS Said they would leave it too see what happened as i should have a 'reasonable degree of movement' and that if it hadn't healed properly 'in a few months' they 'might do something about it'.

I opted to go private and was in surgery within a week. If they are giving you the option of surgery i would push for it and get it sorted once and for all. Especially due to the separation between the two sides of the break.

darrell
    Free Member

i had similar problems 5 yrs ago in Switzerland. i got the run around cause the insurance company didnt want to pay out for an operation even though the hospital wanted to do it. Eventually the insurance company won and i got told that unless i was a topless model then it'll just have to do. i've got about 80-90% mobility and it hurts everyday, looks awful still and my shoulder is slightly rotated. But what the hell, it works.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Phil,
    Collar bones normally heal pretty good, even when they are misaligned.
    Have you been resting it?

I know it's tough, but I'd go for the figure of 8 bandage done up good and tight, rest it properly, and give it another month before opting for surgery.

If it ain't healing, it ain't healing for a reason, and bolting it together won't cure that reason.

SB

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Broken collar bone’ is closed to new replies.