Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • broken chains and chain tools
  • spudly1979
    Free Member

hi, chain broke again today, and after promising myself after the last time, i’m going to actually buy a damn chain tool for my bag!

Any suggestions on a good one? I’ve bought cheap before on tools, and regretted it, so i’m after a decent (but not ridiculously priced!) one for my bag.

Also – at what point would you recommend changing the cassette when i change my chain? I’m going to have to get a new chain, but my cassette is only new from september, so do i need a new one too?

nealy
    Free Member
    spudly1979
    Free Member

thanks Nealy, ordered the superstar one, i am so not getting caught out and having to walk home again!

Any advice on the cassette from anyone?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Teh only way is to try it – cahin only a bit worn you might get away with it – chain very worn – you won’t

spudly1979
    Free Member

thanks TJ, just had bike serviced and was advised chain was in good nick (apart from breaking…) so hopefully can sort without buying a new cassette.

Had thought of trying to repair with a powerlink thingy – but is this only for temp repairs to get you home, rather than a more permanent repair?

thomthumb
    Free Member

powerlinks can be permanent – no trouble.

chains don’t tend to just break – what are you doing with it?

spudly1979
    Free Member

i know, trying to find what i’m doing wrong. I’ve not crossing over the gears, as i learned relatively early thats a good way to break a chain!

I broke it over at cannock, think i just tried to change both front and back mechs at once, and it got caught. Helpful passer by had a chain tool so removed a link and sorted it – but left it then and i’m thinking that would have weakened it? It went again today as i was going downhill, so not too much tension on chain, and no gear changing? Could it have been over tensioned as my rear sus moved?

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

possibly a bent tooth on a chainring.
    I’d always rejoin a chain with a powerlink, or a new pin with shimano. It’s not worth the bother of it breaking again.

Northwind

If it’s for your bag, what you want is a Topeak Hexus- it’s one of the best multitools out there and has a chain tool that’s better than most expensive workshop tools.

Cassette- what you should do is replace the chain before it’s too worn, that way the cassette is likely to take a new chain. But at this point, what you do is you fire on a new chain and hope it works, you’ll soon know if it doesn’t.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘broken chains and chain tools’ is closed to new replies.