Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Broken Chain
  • toyrobot
    Free Member

This might seem like a stupid question. I broke a chain today – the first time in 10 years of mountain biking.
    I’ve taken the offending link out and joined the two ends with a chain device. Will this suffice, is it fixed OR do I need to get a new pin?
    (the one that I had to semi remove to fix the two ends together has lost the rim that seems to be what holds the pin in in the first place.

watsontony
    Free Member

can be very hit and miss. i am a cheapo when it comes to chains. i have had chains snap, i fixed them like you did and have been fine for ages after.

someone will be along shortly to tell you to replace or you will die.

The only time when a chain has nearly killed me is when i was doing a wheelie down the road and it snapped. resulting in the bike cart wheeling down the road and me in a pile on the floor.

br
    Free Member

I never bother re-joining, just use SRAM quicklinks.

stufive
    Free Member

+1 for quicklinks at least then you know you removed all of the weak bit or a new piece

pdw
    Free Member

This used to work up to 8 speed chains, I think. 9 and 10 can’t be reliably rejoined this way. Last time I tried it on a 9 speed it lasted three rides. Get a quick link or a joining pin.

toyrobot
    Free Member

Cheers guys. 10 speed power links ordered from crc – hopefully my fix will last until they’re delivered.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Broken Chain’ is closed to new replies.