• This topic has 22 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Nick.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Broken bikes and bits – let’s see your pics!
  • Sanny
    Free Member

Seeing how there is a penchant on this forum to post pics of bikes, how about posting some pictures of broken bikes and bits to brighten up the day? Extra credit will be given for accompanying tales of derring do or just plain stupidity which led to the breakage.

Cheers

Sanny

jwr

A poorly Psylo fork:

Thread was damaged during a service (stupid plastic top caps). A few days later blatting down some singletrack, the whole u-turn upper-assembly jettisoned itself into a nearby field and startled some cows.

-j

slugwash
    Free Member

Snapped On-One Doofer during Dartmoor night-ride. Tried to fix with spanner splint and zipties, ended up shortening chain and running as if bike had horizontal dropouts.

Snapped mech hanger on Shinythings’ bike. He had a spare one in his pack.

Cracked fixie frame. Still in shed awaiting repairs.

Broken Saracen. Don’t know exactly what’s wrong with it. I can’t seem to be able to put my finger on the problem. 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    swoosh
    Free Member

mate of mine has a rather poorly looking bottom jockey wheel that’s all pointed like a really knackered middle chainring. no pics but also i know he’s not bothering to replace it cos the bottom jockey wheel only guides the chain, dont do much else.

DezB
    Free Member

Destroyed when the idiot riding rode out in front of a VW Golf.
    It was their maiden ride. Whilst lying on the road, I looked round to see my bike and saw the red springs. It looked like it was bleeding 🙁

owenfackrell
    Free Member

This was how I got the 9 miles back to my car after the rear mech committed suicide in to the rear wheel.

Found this when cleaning the frame one day

And this 18 months later in the replacement frame.

Unfortunatley i don’t have any pics of the forks after crashing in to a tree.

ETA i hope that this has worked as i can’t see the pics from work.

poisonspider
    Free Member

Broken person

Broken bikes

Plus a few more here: [/url]

poisonspider
    Free Member

oops didn’t get the linky thing quiet right, thicko.

poisonspider
    Free Member

And I can’t spell. Doh!

Harry_the_Spider

I ran over a piece of wire (the stuff that they tack on the top of wooden fences), my front wheel flipped it up on to the big ring and it got dragged round to the under side of the chain stays. The big ring failed under the load, the bike stopped dead and stayed upright still caught on the wire, I flew through the air and landed on hands knees and chin.

Ouch.

Went to LBS on the way home covered in mud and blood. Dropped it off and walked the rest of the way.

theflatboy
    Free Member

poison, in that “broken person” x-ray you’ve put up, i just can’t see the problem? grazed elbow? 😆

Sanny
    Free Member

The Santa Cruz is outstanding. I’m guessing that something deceptively stationary jumped out? Ha! Ha!

Sanny

a11y

Pah, carbon bars + drop at start of Spooky Woods at GT. Wasn’t even me, it was the wife that did this:

And me having a tyre roll off the rim, also at GT funnily enough – resulted in me tearing my right ankle ligaments somehow:

chunkypaul
    Free Member

turner flux

trek liquid

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ohh, my speciality!

Stick in the rear wheel, broken mech not shown

Rode into a parked car

Terminal chainsuck

[/img]

donsimon
    Free Member

I managed to do this to a road bike, front wheel fell through the grid on a drain. The bike stopped in an instant and tried to rip the fork through the head tube, but successfully launched me down the road. 24/12/08, twas a happy festive season for me 🙁

Sticking to mountain biking from now on, nowhere near as dangerous as road riding!

scaredypants

The Santa Cruz is outstanding

looks a bit like a shitting dog, doesn’t it !

RudeBoy
    Free Member

PP, that isn’t an On-One frame, that last pic, is it?

No, silly me- it can’t be. They’re perfectly designed! 😉

poisonspider
    Free Member

The guy with the Santa Cruz walked away without a scratch, unlike the tree he hit.

As for the broken person, it took more than an elastoplast to disguise it from the missus.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

RB – Leave it! Let it go……

I was looking for a pic of my bent Saracen commuters’ forks, too, but that’s gone now….

crazy-legs

Porcupine Rim, Moab. This was the guides Giant which had failed on one of the many dropoffs. He’d been complaining about flex and the bike feeling like it had a puncture for a few minutes before he noticed the break!

Nick

The guy with the Santa Cruz walked away without a scratch, unlike the tree he hit.

looks like blood smeared round the area of missing bark..!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Broken bikes and bits – let’s see your pics!’ is closed to new replies.