Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Broken bike lock, how to liberate bike??
  • SiB
    Free Member

Went to two local fire stations today with all relevant documents…..£350! They were very apologetic, red tape, and thats why using an angle grinder at work is a bit of a no no….foolishly asked if it would be ok to bring angle grinder in and was told by powers that be that I couldn't – underground car park, fumes, vehicles, etc, plus a couple of the 'powers' use the aread alot at random times so good chance of 'getting caught pinching my own bike'.

Dont fancy the freezing and ****tting method, carbon

no room to use jack of any description

locked to u-bends cemented in to ground….costly repair job (for me)

lunch hours with a hac saw although will look in to cost of battery powered saw although sounds expensive? Manufactures said a large meachanical devide should do job – battery powered saw doesn't sound too large.

manufacturers said locksmith very unlikely to do the job but will obviously have to try one if I cant do it myself.

Cheaper lock in future?

Thanks

user-removed
    Free Member

abductee – Member
    Why not buy a bike like other STW members do rather than trying to "liberate" one?

Are you stupid or just a bit pissed? Try reading my post again without your beer goggles. Twit.

benji_allen
    Free Member

Electric rebar cutter?

Tiger6791

Hacksaw and 8 hours of upper body training

Murray

Tile cutting blade in a hacksaw. They're cheap and the cutting element is tungsten carbide.

Although a Dremel with a diamond wheel will be less work.

Jack will work but has potential to go wrong (high forces, flying bits of metal).

No lock is unbreakable – in fact safes are rated merely by the time and noise it takes to break into them.

mamadirt
    Free Member

You work for Magnum and I claim my £5 😉

andylux
    Free Member

Depending on the fire service, the £350 will be the Special Service Charge which is the cost to send an appliance etc etc. This is a similar charge which is applied when attending people trapped in lifts etc, i.e premises often fail to maintain lifts correctly therefore the fire servie will recieve many calls to release people from broken down lifts and then the premise gets charged each time.

I've assisted fellow cyclists with your problem through an "un-scheduled drill session on cutting and breaking in equipment" in the past.

Hope you get sorted soon.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I'll say it once: Thermite

although it may fall a little foul of H&S regs 😀

eshershore
    Free Member

you will go through pretty much any lock on the market with large enough bolt croppers – you will ruin the blades but it will cut the lock

if you search the websites of leading motorbike-lock manufacturers they show how easily most "big brand" locks on the market can be cut with enough leverage from big bolt cutters

I've also had luck (in our workshop) removing a £50 "big brand" d-lock that a customer had lost the key for, by several well aimed blows at the barrel with a lump hammer, the lock popped very quickly!

mollyiom
    Free Member

cordless angle grinder with a thin cutting blade will have it sorted in no time, just stop bowing to the H & S brigade and get on with it. or pretend you are steeling it for real, whats the worst that can happen?

steve_b77
    Free Member

But won't the carbon frame shatter into a zillion pieces and the splinters main line for the OP's heart if they attack the lock with a hammer due to the sonic boom of the impact 😆

Clearly semtex is the way forward

Xylene
    Free Member

Call the police.

Tell them a stolen bike has been left there. They will cut the lock. Then go pick it up saying it's yours and was stolen from work.

Job done

abductee
    Free Member

User removed – The OP hadn't said that they own the bike although they probably do. I was simply playing devils advocate as I don't think it's sensible to post bike liberating advice.

There's no need to be rude. Perhaps you shoud re-read after you've had a good nights sleep.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think its perfectly sensible to discuss bike liberating advice FFS – do you really think that the neds are on this forum and that we know anything they don't?

Get a grip man

abductee
    Free Member

I think its perfectly sensible to discuss bike liberating advice FFS

No need to swear

Northwind

abductee – Member

"User removed – The OP hadn't said that they own the bike although they probably do. I was simply playing devils advocate as I don't think it's sensible to post bike liberating advice."

The last time I heard that, it was when the round-key locks fiasco went public, and it was lock companies saying it. The thieves already knew, but the owners didn't, and some people wanted it kept that way. To be fair, it wasn't just them, a lot of people with the hopeless locks seemed to prefer not to know. Personally I'd sooner find out over the interner than by arriving at the bike rack and finding no bike, but maybe I'm nuts.

In this case, the thief would have walked up to the bike with a big set of croppers or cable cutters and cut the lock in about 2 seconds- it's actually faster to break most cable locks than it is to unlock them. But don't tell anyone or consumers might lose faith in the terrible locks we're peddled as Sold Secure even though they offer no deterrant at all to pros.

IMO 😉

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Bolts cutters probably might not work. I snapped the jaws of a 4 foot pair of £400 bolt cutters on a magnum lock two weeks ago.

Northwind

It's an 8mm cable, boltcutters will go through it like butter as long as the blades are halfway decent and close. Working it past the "armour" might take a moment though. Cable cutters would be better though.

What lock was it that broke your croppers? That's interesting…

user-removed
    Free Member

user-removed – Member
    My mate had a Kryptonite lock removed by a blacksmith in a few seconds (he bought the bike at a police auction with the lock still attatched!). Surely getting an insured professional in wouldn't upset the H&S bods too much?

As an aside, the smithy my mate used tapped his nose afterwards and said he'd 'liberate' as many as my mate could bring in

Posted 1 day ago #

abductee – Member
    Why not buy a bike like other STW members do rather than trying to "liberate" one?

Posted 1 day ago # Report-Post

Can't you see that your post insinuates that you've half read mine and decided that I / my mate was a thief?

Apologies if that wasn't the case…. Agree that genuine thieves are very unlikely to be one step behind us in matters of theft… And insinuating that the OP is a thief is just a bit weird really…

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Broken bike lock, how to liberate bike??’ is closed to new replies.