Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Broken axle. How expensive is this going to be?
  • sdadswell001

So I’ve managed to get a broken rear axle in my MtB. Completely sheared just inside the freehub. I’ve put in a call to the Cannondale dealer and hope (fingers crossed) they might consider a warranty repair (bike is 18 months old).

Failing the largesse of Cannondale, what does anyone think the repair is going to be? Can an axle be replaced as a single part? Or am I looking at replacing the whole hub and having to rebuild the wheel for £’hundreds!. (Btw, it’s a C’dale in house hub – Czero branding)

docrobster
    Free Member

Usually a very cheap easily replaceable part. About a tenner for a superstar hub for example.

sdadswell001

Cheers. Reassuring.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If your axles broken, every chance your bearings are gubbed too, most rear hubs have 4 or 5 in there, you’re probably looking at about 50 quid or thereabouts.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Is it a sealed bearing hub or loose ball cup and cone one ?

Axle could be as little as £5-7 plus a few quid for some bearings as long as the cup is ok

Speeder

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    If your axles broken, every chance your bearings are gubbed too, most rear hubs have 4 or 5 in there, you’re probably looking at about 50 quid or thereabouts.

Really? What’s the mechanism for that?

Biggest issue is going to be getting hold of spare parts for an own brand hub. It’ll almost certainly be generic but I’d be amazed if the importer holds spares . . . .

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Really? What’s the mechanism for that?

Broken axle, say 10 quid, 5 bearings at a fiver apiece is 35 quid all in, before you pay any labour.

Could be done a lot cheaper, yes, but I don’t think those prices are beyond the realms of bikeshop prices tbh.

edit – if you mean mechanism for broken axle, the only time I’ve ever seen it is due to bearing collapse, axle left unsupported, snap.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

You’ve not seen many then.
    Some hubs just snap axles if you overload them. No bearing collapse at all (either before or after!).

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Not familiar with this specific hub, but I’d be wanting a broken axle replaced under warranty on an 18 month old bike.

Speeder

edit – if you mean mechanism for broken axle, the only time I’ve ever seen it is due to bearing collapse, axle left unsupported, snap.

Ah yes I can see that – I was thinking how would the axle bork the bearings but that makes sense but as GM mentions there are some spontaneous occurrences – Maxle Lights were a cause once upon a time iirc.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ecky-Thump – Member
    Not familiar with this specific hub, but I’d be wanting a broken axle replaced under warranty on an 18 month old bike.

Most components will come with a 12 month warranty. Frame will be whatever the manufacturer offers.
    It’s a read the manual/warranty for that one.

AlexSimon

The only problem with warranty is that you might be waiting.
    Depending on the value of riding time (and whether you’ve got more bikes), if I didn’t get a fairly instant positive response that they were going to take care of it by return of post, I would be down my local bike shop or buying a replacement and getting going as quickly as possible.
    Missing my bike for 2 weeks would put me in a very bad mood compared to spending £50.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You’ve not seen many then.

I did say that, thanks for pointing that out again.

sdadswell001

I totally agree £50 is not much compared to arguing the toss over warranties and waiting for ages. LBS didn’t seem keen to undertake a repair through. i might try some of the smaller shops to see if they have more enthusiasm.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I did say that, thanks for pointing that out again.

Actually you didn’t .

I think you would be very lucky to get a warranty , too many variables on an 18 month old wheel . I would just suck it up , things break and you would probably be best to just buy a new wheel .

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Actually you didn’t .

if you mean mechanism for broken axle, the only time I’ve ever seen it is due to bearing collapse, axle left unsupported, snap.

Maybe you never read my post…

docrobster
    Free Member

What this thread needs is the exact model of hub so that we can all google for spares…. 😀
    Re whether the bearings will also need replacing that wasn’t the issue when the axle snapped on my superstar switch rear hub twice. Both times it just snapped whilst riding along in an otherwise perfectly functioning hub (big impact to back wheel did it rather than actual JRA)
    Have you taken it apart to have a look OP?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Yeah, we both did and you still didn’t. You just pointed out a single mode of failure.
    FWIW, if the cannondale dealer/LBS don’t want to do it, you’re unlikely to find a smaller independent who can get the parts if it’s a cannondale OE hub, even if they do agree to do the work, it’ll be a ball ache for them, and may involve the wrong part turning up. If it’s a bitex or novatech.

Might be easier to bite the bullet and get a new hub. Depending on spoke count of the rim etc.

Or try trawling through http://www.cannondale-parts.de/Hubs-Wheels
    as they have this part listed.
    http://www.cannondale-parts.de/epages/61764971.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61764971/Products/CK5307U00OS

Which may be the right one.

sdadswell001

Actually the LBS did suggest that failed bearings could lead to axle breakage. There wasn’t any advance signs though.

I think the main difficulty will be sourcing the replacement parts required. Hub is C’dales in house “CZero”. Googling hasn’t identified whether this is actually any mainstream manufacturers product or something bespoke for C’dale .

Former would be preferable, just identify who made the hub, source the parts and get them fitted. The latter is probably a bigger cost and lengthy delay.

It’s all putting me off unbranded OEM parts. I can see how it helps get a bike to the shop for lower cost, but PITA to repair.

I wouldn’t be surprised if I end up being advised to rebuild the wheel on a new hub. Any recommendations for lights and easily serviced? Hope?

sdadswell001

Thanks for that ghostlymachine

docrobster
    Free Member

If you can identify the model of hub and buy a second one could you swap the axle from it into the original hub and thereby save the pain of relacing the wheel? You’d also have a spare set of bearings and hub shell for if needed in the future.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

the only time I’ve ever seen it is due to bearing collapse, axle left unsupported, snap.

You’ve not seen many snapped axles then, I take it? 🙂
    Or ridden BMX…?

sdadswell001

Thx captmorgan. That would definitely suggest that it’s a Formula hub. I like docrobsters idea of buying a complete hub and swapping the internals.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Broken axle. How expensive is this going to be?’ is closed to new replies.