Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Broken axle collet in upper link of a 5010
  • Gilles

Hello,

Last year I discovered that the pivot axle collet on the upper link of my 5010 Santa Cruz bike was broken. I changed it and a few months later it’s broken again, see picture below (right : original axle, left new axle, broken again)- Has anybody any idea what’s going on? I’ve emailed SC in the States and I’m awaiting for an answer. However if you’ve experimented something similar, I like to hear from you. Is it possible that during a rebuild I’ve misaligned the upper link which will then add some extra pressure around the collet? I’ve also noticed that the bushing on my rear fork was also slightly shifted. This might be because the axle was broken and the frame, by twisting/wobbling, has shifted the bushing.

thank you!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

UK or US based? I’d be back with the retailer who sold the bike – first point of contact for all warranty work.
    Probably worth taking the frame back in for inspection.

Gilles

UK. They said to send the frame back to Jungle. I really wonder how a frame can develop a fault almost one year later.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

many reasons but you will probably end up with a new frame so all good.

Superficial
    Free Member

If the frame is slightly out of alignment then it could be putting a bend on that pivot with each compression. Which in turn causes it to fail relatively quickly. Sounds like a warranty to me.

squoglybob
    Free Member

This might not be relevant BUT, have you had the shock off at any time? i mentioned this on here in a previous thread, I’ve noticed that if i put my shock back on and tighten up one bolt either upper or lower it doesn’t matter which then put the other one in and tighten up fully it pulls the rear end out of line.

I’ve done this twice. First time i sent the rear shock off because it failed. Got it back and wound in as above and the shaft was smacking the inside of the air can which inside looked like a plenishing bowl.

I’m just thinking that if its been off and not tightened up steadily a tad at a time then maybe?

Either way looks like a New Frame.

carlos
    Free Member

Bump for an update off Gilles

As my Heckler (2010) was creaking like mad last night. Turns out that the same thing has happened to that. Only one of the fins has bust off though. Bearings are pretty smooth and luckily I had a spare from a kit I purchased off SC ages ago.

I’d be happy with a replacement axle and wedge thing, it it worth a call to Jungle?

Ta

Paceman
    Free Member

Call Jungle, their Santa Cruz Warranty service has been second to none in my experience, they couldn’t have been more helpful when I’ve had dealings with them. I suspect you just need a new axle kit. The collet (wedge) is there to hold the axle in place and preload the bearings and it really doesn’t require much torque; over tightening causes problems like this (I know as I’ve been there). This explains what I mean quite well:

http://m.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday-Adjust-the-Pivot-Bearings-on-Any-Santa-Cruz-VPP-Sus.html

If it is a manufacturing issue with your frame then Jungle should be able to sort a replacement for you.

carlos
    Free Member

Well, I emailed Jungle this morning and just had a reply off Jonty asking for the broken axle to be posted to them. Once they receive it they’ll post out a replacement FOC.

Can’t ask for more than that

Thank you

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Broken axle collet in upper link of a 5010’ is closed to new replies.