Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Broken Arm
  • emma
    Free Member

So bored. 😯 What can i do without aggravating my already sore arm?

freddyg
    Free Member

keepy-uppies?

molgrips
    Free Member

Are you my niece?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Seems for the best*

emma
    Free Member

No not your niece?! Has she broken her arm too?

scaled
    Free Member

Squats. Will only kill about 30 mins a day (2 x 15 min sessions)
    But keeps the legs moving.

I can only do body weight ones at the moment. Considering some kind of home made weight belt

emma
    Free Member

Spank the monkey???

freddyg
    Free Member

Edit: Removed – second thoughts about my puerile attempt at humour.

thepurist

Edit: Nah, let’s grow up a bit.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    A one armed activity, you say? Spank the monkey?

I have to use two hands, am I doing it incorrectly? 😯

freddyg
    Free Member

<high-fives thepurist>

nuke

Broke my wrist yesterday whilst out riding…I’m bored already and I haven’t even had the op yet to pin it back together 🙁

wwaswas

*attempts to drag the thread back on course*

Is it too sore to do any impact activity like running?

turbo trainer would probably be ok as long as weight of the arm is supported by a sling? take it gentle so you don’t get the inside of the cast too sweaty and horrible though.

Harry_the_Spider

You have a monkey?

emma
    Free Member

so far you’ve made me smile. 😀 brownie points to all…

willard

Where did you break it? How long have they got you in a cast for?

The biggest mistake I made when I broke mine (left, both bones in the lower arm, cast up to the shoulder) was not taking the physio advice and squeezing a squash ball. Lost loads of muscle that way.

Otherwise, I guess you’re limited to lunges, squats, that sort of thing.

wombat

You have a monkey?

It may be a well behaved one….

nick1962
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider – Member

You have a monkey?

wwaswas

Rarely, in the history of stw have so many posts been edited by so few in such a short space of time.

emma
    Free Member

I was climbing over a style when my dog, bless her, decided to squeeze through a gap and come out just under my foot, flipping me on my backside so I ended up facing the way I came!!! FOOSH

emma
    Free Member

encouragement not needed. But Iv’e been told not to do DIY…

molgrips
    Free Member

No not your niece?! Has she broken her arm too?

Yeah she fell off her scooter. Apparently she had to wait a few days with it in a splint, before it could be pinned. I think this is fairly normal no? My Mrs thinks it might’ve been better if they’d done it straight away but apparently no-one was available on Good Friday…

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Oh cheers Flashy, that makes my quote look a little suspect now!

emma
    Free Member

Broken my right distal radius. 6 wks in pot. 🙁 Work not happy…

wwaswas

If it were me I’d be quite pleased I’d managed to break myself without involving a bicycle.

emma
    Free Member

I did mine on Good Friday too. Pot was done yesterday afternoon… V lucky not displaced so no pins needed.

scaled
    Free Member

Good Friday here too. Level 4 ac separation.

Strava was involved, I feel suitably stupid. Fracture clinic on Monday. Hoping for a couple if screws as this floating feeling isn’t great.

Tracey

Know how you feel. Been bored for the last six weeks since my shoulder reconstruction. No bikes, no boarding, no gym, no driving and no ironing. Got the all clear this morning. Cant wait to get the bike out once the ironing has been done.

nick1962
    Free Member

@Tracey
    😀

emma
    Free Member

Ironing; my most hated chore!! How did you do yours?

AC separation is that a shoulder issue too?

Tracey

Came off the bike at Wharncliffe and hit a big rock with my shoulder. Its took five years for them finally to operate and put it right. Feel pain free now but have a big scar over my shoulder. I dont mind ironing, Abigale has been doing it for me as we dont have a left handed iron for Kevin.

scaled
    Free Member

Yeah, my collar bone is no longer attached to my shoulder blade.

Speaking of Strava, checking it daily to see which if your mates is going faster than you seems to not be helping my mood.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Gym, static bike hill climbing programme. Or Turbo in garage. Boring but will keep you in shape until you can ride again.

beckykirk43
    Free Member

My arm seems to be permanently “broken” (in the sense that a couple of nerves do silly things rather than being actually broken).
    The time after surgery(s) was spent watching many DVD boxsets (I’ve now seen all of House, Grey’s Anatomy, Family Guy, Scrubs etc.!), the dog got lots of walks too (although it depends on how well behaved the dog is I suppose!). Books are good too…especially if you’ve got lots you’ve been meaning to read?

Get on the turbo if you have one and feel up to it – even if you don’t do high efforts it’ll be good to keep your legs going!

Healing vibes in your direction! 🙂

timber

Had an op. last Thursday to remove a lump from my lower back, now have weeks of waiting for the crater to heal over, it’s rammed full of sea-weed and I can’t sit down or bend down, banging my head against the wall got boring on Sunday.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

so far you’ve made me smile. brownie points to all…

*Warm glow*

smartmonkey
    Free Member

Scaled,
    I did the same as you on Dec 1st, but only a 3, I was told that 1-3 was left in a sling and should sort it’s self out and a 4 would require pinning.
    Mine hurt like hell for the first 4 weeks (lots of drugs and sleep)with no obvious sign of improvement, then rapidly got better, I was driving again after 6-7 weeks and back to full use at approx 3 months.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

6 weeks out with hand in a cast.

Turbo training made it very sweaty and the cast disintegrated.
    Gym for a bit
    Mostly got angry

mattbibbings
    Free Member

In the last twelve months I have had 5 operations to fix my two broken/smashed to bits wrists so I feel your pain. Time sat on ones arse being forced to rest is not fun and seems to stretch out into the future like some never ending highway. The good news is, it does end. Even I am nearly back on a Mountain Bike (although its only 19 days until op number 6 – metal work removal in left wrist). I know more about patience now than I care to mention.

My top tips for passing the time include dog walking (although your pooch may not be your favourite right now!), tv box setting (get a netflix account and watch House of Cards with Kevin Spacey, its ace), more dog walking, reading, building bikes, building bikes for mates, fixing bikes, cleaning bikes, Turbo Trainer time ( over the last year I have clocked over a thousand miles in my cellar, thankfully I had split pots most of the time so I could change the sock inside when it got sweaty), interweb tinkering and cooking.

Be positive though, above all else.

Take care.

Matt

mikewsmith
    Free Member

also get a new user name and write down 5 mental points of view and stick to them.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Broken Arm’ is closed to new replies.