Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Broke My Yeti, Much Sadness and Wailing.
  • GreenRoom
    Free Member

Cracked around the drive chainstay almost completely and partially around the non drive side.

Absolutely gutted cause riding was helping to bring me out of the depths of depression and PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder).

Yeti are going to take a look on warranty grounds so fingers crossed but I’m going to miss the weekly Biketreks hammer down session until I get enough cash to fix it.

Thanks for listening STW. Just needed to speak too an understanding audience!

Greenroom

PS: Unlikely but if anybody had an old back end lying about, I would make an offer. They are £400 new and I’m unemployed.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Gutted for you, fight hard for a warranty replacement.

Jenga
    Free Member

Happens a lot with carbon chainstays on 575s. Try and get ally next time. Try the Yetifan forum for advice http://yetifancom.proboards.com/index.cgi?

GreenRoom
    Free Member

Hey Cheers for that guys will look that up. Was right feeling down in the dumps.

Trekster

Yup

Looks like that pointy bit has caused/could be the cause of a stress fracture imo/non professional opinion.

Hard lines

Test rode one recently(@Biketreks-say Hi to Andy…) and decided they were not all they were cracked up to be on this forum, bit fragile I thought for my liking.

JB405
    Free Member

What Part of the world are you in?

I have a hardtail, it needs a bit of tuning, that you can borrow if you want?

GreenRoom
    Free Member

JB405 that’s amazing of you. I am in Kendal.

Trekster I have absolute confidence in this bike I find it to be insanely fast, easy to ride and very robust. Thanks for your opinion on the fracture but what you can’t see is that it starts at the top of the swing arm and extends to the pointy bit. Thats just a glued on plate to prevent chain suck damage. Could that cause a stress raiser? I’m afraid I’m not that technical. Also you can’t see it but the other chainstay is cracked too.

This thread is definitely not a dig at yeti or the shop I got it from, Awesome bike and awesome shop and they got on it straight away. I just needed a metaphorical hug and some sympathy you know?

the_lecht_rocks

is it within warranty ? if so, then don’t worry ?
    if not, hope yeti CS is 1st class, like Turners is……..

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Green Room,depending on the age of your bike,yeti are decent enough with warranty claims. The same happened to a mate’s 575 and they replaced it with no problemms.
    I’ve got an 07 575 and it’s helped my riding,no end.

fwb2006
    Free Member

You’ll be fine, it’ll be replaced. What size frame was it? What kind of size are you? I’ve got a new 575 but went for the alloy chainstay as I’m 6 4 and 15 stone. Their customer service is excellent so can’t see a problem.

Trekster

Green Room you can have a meta hug

The metal bit may be a chainsuck protecor but will also be acting like a lug on a frame and causing localised stiffening(again my laymans opinion)

My beloved Bonty which has been thrashed around the Lakes on many an occasion has given up the cause, so I know how you feel.

Regards Biketreks, Andy & co I agree whole heartedly. Have ridden with Andy in the past when he was just a wee lad in a shop round the corner with a workshop nr the park down the road a bit.
    Which reminds me I need to return something!!!!!

ridethelakes
    Free Member

If you don’t get it replaced under warranty then Yeti definitely have a crash replacement program so you can get a new back end at cost. Bromley bikes are the importers so you could give them a call for advice.

Btw I’m down the road from you in Windermere if you fancy a ride sometime? Assuming you get your biked fixed!

hopster
    Free Member

3rd one I have seen in just two months. Good luck getting a warranty one, you’ll need it.

JB405
    Free Member

I’m in Cheshire – Holmes Chapel (Junc 18 on M6)

If you would like to borrow it for a few weeks just PM me.

GreenRoom
    Free Member

Ridethelakes what’s the deal on this crash replacement please? I haven’t heard of it. Maybe £400 is cost…..

As for riding yeah definitely let’s get out. Will have to wait on new back end or maybe a mate’s bike tho. What sort of stuff do you do? I like to get out with biketreks and sometimes KMB, just back into riding again after a long period out due to illness and injury.

Once again thanks to everyone for the support.

Greenroom

pallyally
    Free Member

Transgranular stress corrosion cracking.

Seen it before

GreenRoom
    Free Member

<Googles transgranular stress corrosion cracking>

Ok I get the stress cracking bit but the corrosion?

Jason
    Free Member

Hopefully your experience with Yeti warranty will be much like mine.

I broke my 3 year old ASR and the LBS I bought it from were no longer a Yeti dealer. I emailed Yeti in the States with photos, they asked me to take it to Bromley Bikes (who are fairly local to me) for a warranty inspection. When I turned up at Bromley Bikes, Yeti had already agreed to warranty replace it. I really couldn’t fault the service they gave.

Good luck getting your sorted.

ridethelakes
    Free Member

Ridethelakes what’s the deal on this crash replacement please? I haven’t heard of it. Maybe £400 is cost…..

As for riding yeah definitely let’s get out. Will have to wait on new back end or maybe a mate’s bike tho. What sort of stuff do you do? I like to get out with biketreks and sometimes KMB, just back into riding again after a long period out due to illness and injury.

Don’t know the exact details but I know it definitely exists. £400 seems cheap actually so maybe that is cost?

I ride mainly South Lakes closer to home so Kentmere most weekends and also Grizedale usually for night rides on a Wednesday night. Never been out with Andy and the Biketreks lot but hear the pace is rather brisk to say the least! I heard its pretty popular now as well after the mag article.

See here for our forum (I’m sparker) ridethelakes

I’ve got a spare bike thats just being fixed so you’re welcome to borrow it once biketreks sort my wheels out! Let me know if you fancy going out.

YetiFoz
    Free Member

Gutted for you and a bit worried for myself!
    I have an 07 575 with carbon back end, what age is yours?
    I will have to keep an eye on mine but it’s not ridden hard every week as it’s quite tame where I am.

Chin up.

Foz

GreenRoom
    Free Member

Hi YetiFoz

My 575 is from 06 so it’s the old school one. I sure ride it hard it but nothing it isn’t designed for.

Jenga posted a link to yetifan where they discuss broken stays. This seems mostly to be the newer frame like yours.

I wouldn’t get too worried, things fatigue and break it’s par for the course that out of the huge numbers made a few might fail. Happens with everything and the 575 does seem to push the boundaries of hard riding do-it-all long travel but lightweight bike.

Where are you at? Come and visit the lakes. Awesome trails. Loving being back on the bike.

Ridethelakes I’ll check out your forum in a bit and see about this spare bike. Very kind of you, I’m probably a medium or 17/18″ size.

Greenroom

yetirose
    Free Member

ive got an early type 575 , ive had a cracked frame just behind the bottom braket on two occations and a cracked swing arm at the same time , on both occations the yeti importers have been spot on with replacing the frame as quikly as possible through my local dealer and have been very reassuring that the gaurantee still stands from the day of originall purchase . top men to deal with good luck.

YetiFoz
    Free Member

I’m not too worried green room, if it happens it happens.
    I am in Warwickshire, I haven’t managed to ride in the lakes yet although done plenty of walking there.
    Running out of weekends at the moment. If I am up that way with the bike I shall give you a shout.
    All the best with the new rear.
    Are you going to the meet in August?

GreenRoom
    Free Member

Yetifoz

Which meet would that be?

As for the new rear it’s going to happen even if I have to do bread and water for a few months…

YetiFoz
    Free Member

The one at Glyncorrwg on the 22/23 August. Quite informal this year.

See <http://www.yetifan.com&gt;

and also

<http://yetifancom.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=meets&action=display&thread=642&gt;

and also other threads.

lowey

Sorry to hear that mate. Gutted for you.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Broke My Yeti, Much Sadness and Wailing.’ is closed to new replies.