Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Broke a spoke/hub, chances of getting home?
  • duckman

Sheared it right off the hub this morning, 8 mile commute home on country roads, should I risk it? Is the wheel Mavic Askyim(?) going to make it? 25 mins, the stw forum will decide!

IHN

It’ll be fine.

Junkyard
    Free Member

if you can avoid riding home and get a lift I would

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Broken spoke is fine

broken hub, not so,

have you snaped a spoke or the hub?

glenp
    Free Member

Broken one spoke? I’ve seen bikes ridden for months, properly off-road, with several spokes out!

theflatboy
    Free Member

if it’s one broken spoke out of the lot and you’re v careful i’d say go for it

sofatester
    Free Member

Just take it easy and you’ll be fine.

Militant_biker

I’ve bodged peoples bikes to keep them riding for 3 day road/cycle path trips when I’ve not been able to replace a spoke. That has been, however, with 32 and 36 spoke wheels.

To make it work you have to massively alter the neighbouring spokes tensions, so if you’re not handy with a spoke key, or don’t have one on you, I’d avoid riding it.

duckman

I quite fancy the (gulp) Hinde Ultrega/open pro wheels, but they take a while.Might get lbs to bodge the wheel, other factor is I am 16 stone

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Jebus ive riden DH for weeks on a wheel with three spokes out 32 broken…

J0N
    Free Member

Riding should be fine. What’s the spoke count. If you have rim brakes then the buckle may be a problem.
    Coincidently I also broke a spoke on my R550. Straight pull 24 spoke. was buckled like a bu99er due to low spoke count. 4 miles of brake on/brake off with every wheel turn.

duckman

It was awful; now using a Turner 5 spot as a commuter

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Broke a spoke/hub, chances of getting home?’ is closed to new replies.