Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Broadband throttling – I wish I'd read the small print…
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Paying EE for fibre BB, 32gb and all that. Didn’t even know anything about throttling when I took out the contract. After becoming exacerbated with crap speeds all day I looked into it and apparently EE are quite up front about the fact that they throttle pretty much all day and evening. So I am tied into a contract where despite paying for 32mb I get 2.75mb from 13.00 to 01.00 every day. WTF is the point?!?! They are the only hours when I’m likely to want to use BB. Or my young kids, or my wife who works. I download a HD programme or film and I can’t watch the bloody thing as it downloads slower than I can watch it.

I guess there is nothing I can do but is it worth me complaining or will they just say I should have just read the small print first?

Cougar

Can you show us this small print?

A couple of minutes googling would suggest that they throttle P2P and Newsgroup access, and “proritise” gaming and VoIP traffic?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Cougar

Last post on this thread is interesting:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/freeserve/4283469-ee-throttling.html?fpart=all

CAP/ASA do say though:

““Unlimited” claims are likely to be acceptable provided that provider-imposed limitations that affect the speed or usage of the service are moderate only and are clearly explained in the marketing communication.”

and

“Where they affect download speeds, for the downloading of large files on peer-to-peer protocols, for instance, providers should be able to demonstrate that the effect of a traffic management policy or mechanism is not beyond what consumers would reasonably expect.”

ourmaninthenorth

Are you “Off net broadband”? (Whatever that means?)

If EE doesn’t have data hardware in your exchange but still sells broadband to you, this is off net(work) and relies on reselling a (usually) BT service. This is costly to you and your provider. Always better to be on net.

I suspect it’s unlikely that the OP’s off net, given FTTC can only be provisioned from an MPF service, which is always on net.

bonchance
    Free Member

can you reasonably use the 32mbps for things you use at reasonable times, reasonably often? iPlayer HD stream at 7pm for example?

If this is being throttled raise this formally as a fault (failure to perform), when you get the jargon blx they will probably send you, explaining it’s part of some obscure term you were supposed to know (like the ‘offnet’ one above). Carefully consider serving notice – what can they do?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What is your actual Peak Speed outside of the throttled times?

Cougar

Based on OMITN’s comments, and the .PDFs in the link I posted, I’d suggest that it’s broken.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Broadband throttling – I wish I'd read the small print…’ is closed to new replies.