• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by anjs.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Broadband speeds … what's good?
  • Aus
    Free Member

My broadband seems to have gone a bit slow in the last couple of days. Ran a ‘speed check’ and was getting an upload speed of 141 kbps and download of 347 kbps … is this OK / good (I’m with AOL)?

And out of interest, the BT cable to our house is smothered in snow and ice – could this cause a slow down?

Cheers

wwaswas

on any BT line ‘it depends’ – all you can do is monitor it over a period of time and see if there’s a trend down or up. There’s too many variables around contention and distance form exchange to give a definitive answer but what you’re seeign is at the ‘poor’ end of the spectrum, I’d say.

I’m on cable and get 10Mbit down and about .5Mbit up and it’s consistent at that too.

electrons travel faster at lower temperatures so you shoudl encourage ice to from on all your wires 😉

uplink
    Free Member

347 is quite poor IMO [depending on what you pay for]

I’m on a 20meg cable deal

tankslapper
    Free Member

Welcome to West Wales boyo………

MountainMutant
    Free Member

London innit

firestarter
    Free Member

Don’t know what this means

rondo101
    Free Member

O2 broadband ADSL2+ 15mb package, although I’m in a city and not too far from the exchange. If you’re in the sticks and can get it, cable is the best way to go.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Chist 81MB is that fibre?

rondo101
    Free Member

82mb has to be fibre optic. How much does it cost a month? Or are you at work?

Rio

Ours has been rubbish since the snow, and even worse now that the school holidays have started. Lots of people downloading pron because they’ve got nothing else to do working from home I guess –

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Ha I’m at work.

I have Virgin at home and usually get around 9.5mb on the 10mb package

MM

martinh
    Free Member

BT Infinity, £24.99 a month – a bargin

kimbers

at work…

bigyinn
    Free Member

go to THIS SITE and you should be able to find out what sort of speeds your line will support.
    DSL speed is generally a function of the line length and quality of the line.

anjs
    Free Member

on an up to 20 meg copnnection

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Broadband speeds … what's good?’ is closed to new replies.