• This topic has 17 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by mefty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Broadband for a 6-Month Let
  • danielgroves
    Free Member

One for the techies.

I’m looking for a broadband contract which is 6 months or less, ideally monthly rolling. I’ve just moved into a new flat on a 6 month lease, but am not 100% sure if I want to stay here long term.

I’ve checked the obvious; BT, Sky, Virgin. Who else is worth a look? I was staying here long term I’d probably just get BT or Sky fibre and be done with it.

I don’t need a phone (although I know I’ll have to pay line rental anyway, for the broadband).

bamboo
    Free Member

I might be wrong but I have a feeling that tesco may offer what you want. I might also be talking rubbish though!

Aidan
    Free Member

I’d look into mobile broadband, if I were you.

Good enough for streaming iPlayer etc and you can take it with you if you do move on.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I ended up with plusnet a couple of years back as they were one of the few doing rolling contracts. I’ve gone with the big guys before and they have just restarted the contract term in the new place though.

stayhigh

I’m in a similar position and ended up getting a mobile wifi set up from 3. £30 for the dongle and £15.99 for the first month eith 5gb data. After that it goes to £15.00/mth for 10gb data on a rolling contract.

Very pleased with mine both indoors/town or in the woods.

HTH

thecaptain
    Free Member

Zen do monthly. In our location it’s a lot better than mobile.

geoffj

If you go with bt , you can just take the contract with you when you move.
    That’s what I ended up doing when we were in a rental place while we had our house extended .

nickjb
    Free Member

Post office do monthly.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Zen +1.
    Good service from a company that might actually give a *hit.

I swapped to them a few months ago when Demon were pi$$ing me off. Fibre was due soon so I just wanted a monthly contract and had heard decent things about Zen. Fibre has now arrived and rather than swapping to BT (which is what I thought I’d be doing) I’m sticking with Zen as their package worked out cheaper and better (shorter minimum contract, truly unlimited and static IP address included).

BigJohn

We’re in a temporary rental for 6 months and we found Home Telecom to be good.

jambalaya
    Free Member

When I was in a similar situation I bought a Mobile Wifi device from 3, today if you do the same and live in a 4G area you get that for free, device is about £75 and rolling £15 a month. If you can get land based broadband then that would perhaps be plan A but I’ve been very impressed with the mobile device.

walla24
    Free Member

plusnet here, we move every 6 months.
    It includes a free house move every 6 months so long as you resign a 12month contract…they sort everything, its very good really

anjs
    Free Member

Zen +1

Freester

If you don’t want to be tied to a contract a lot of providers are happy as long as you provide your own router. The contract thing is to recoup the cost of the ‘free’ broadband router.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Right, thanks everyone. I immediately ruled a mobile connection out (sorry, should have said). 4G rollout seems to have happened in Plymouth last night, but alas I have a poor signal in my flat and only get ‘basic’ 3G. It’s not going to cut it for me… would drive me mad when doing thing like building new Vagrant boxes.

Will take a look into the other options mentioned, some good shouts in there.

If you don’t want to be tied to a contract a lot of providers are happy as long as you provide your own router. The contract thing is to recoup the cost of the ‘free’ broadband router.

Will definitely contact a few companies about this, would probably bin any ‘free’ router anyway.

Flaperon

I had no problem moving part way through a BT broadband contract, but they obviously expected me to go BT in the new place too.

2bit

Almost but not quite – we were looking for a 9mth contract & Virgin do one..

mefty
    Free Member

Bulldog broadband do a 6 month contract – though no experience

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Broadband for a 6-Month Let’ is closed to new replies.