Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Broadband Filtered Face Plate Problem
  • JohnB
    Free Member

I have an NTE 5 master socket and have bought a filtered faceplate but it reduces download speeds from 4.5mb to 1mb.

If I plug my micro filter into the test socket I get 4.5mb per sec. (This obviously means the rest of the wiring in the house is disconnected)

But then I plug in the filtered face plate (still with the rest of the house wiring disconnected) and am lucky to get 1mb per sec and often no connection at all.

I have tried 2 different filter face plates. Also tried another NTE 5 master socket and the same thing happened.

Any ideas why this is happening?

somouk
    Free Member

A quick google seems to highlight the removal of the wing wire from the system might help as the ring wire often picks up interference.

The filter faceplate should negate that but might be worth a try?

The ringwire is connected to terminal 3 of the faceplate and you only need connections on 2 and 5.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Are there any wires connected into the back of the faceplate?
    If so there are additional extensions connected into the main line. If you have any additional sockets in hte property then that will account for the wiring. Again make sure that only pins 2 + 5 are connected.

JohnB
    Free Member

No ring wire and no extensions. I am going purely into the test socket so the only item connected to the master socket is as follows:

1) 4.5 mb /sec micro filter and modem
    2) 1mb /sec filtered faceplate and modem

bigyinn
    Free Member

Ok then its the combined filter and front plate. Bin it and run the microfilter from the test socket.
    If you’re that bothered you should be able to get a replacement front plate, but you may have to buy the whole socket to match it up.

Cougar

I’m sorry if this sounds condescending but it’s not clear from your posts:

You are using the faceplate instead of the microfilter, yes? Not as well as?

Cougar

Also,

Also tried another NTE 5 master socket

How have you managed that? You’ll only have one master socket per BT line.

GrahamS

Have you got microfilters on ALL the other sockets that have phones on them?

With the faceplate connected the rest of your local circuit is live – so it could be something on there.

You don’t need a microfilter on the filtered faceplate but I think you still need one on the rest of the sockets (happy to be corrected).

If it’s not that then try disconnecting everything from the other sockets in your local circuit. See if that helps narrow it down.

Cougar

You don’t need a microfilter on the filtered faceplate but I think you still need one on the rest of the sockets (happy to be corrected).

Depends how they’re connected.

Every device requires filtering, but you can do that once and then run the filtered phone line round the house from the filtered socket, or you can run the unfiltered line as extensions and then filter at every socket instead.

If you have unfiltered devices, or devices that are filtered twice, you’re going to have issues. That’s what you need to check.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Reading the OPs reply, no other extension on site. Although I am confused about the NTE5 bit, thats the WHOLE socket (back and front plate).
    Cougar, you can get combined filter faceplates that have the microfilter built in, doing away with the separate microfilter, I dont rate them personally.

Cougar

(Better yet, take all your crappy internal “extension” wiring, tear it out and throw it away, and replace it with as many cordless phones as you need.)

Cougar

Cougar, you can get combined filter faceplates that have the microfilter built in, doing away with the separate microfilter, I dont rate them personally.

You’re using the wrong one, then. (-:

http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php

Cougar

I am confused

OP, some photos might help?

oldboy
    Free Member

OP, I don’t think most of the above posters understand just what it is you are doing. I do, having recently fitted a ADSL faceplate into my BT NTE5 master socket.

I take it you are comparing the NTE5 test socket direct from your BT external line with a ADSL filter plugged in, and without any internal wiring connected, with the ADSL faceplate plugged into the test socket, again without any connection to any internal wiring. So I guess it must be the faceplate. Which make are you using? Mine is by ADSLnation, which had good reviews. I could have got one for half the price elsewhere.

JohnB
    Free Member

Old boy, you understand and have summarised my set up spot on.

I am using a BT filtered faceplate.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/251461950912?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=95&device=t&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95&ff19=0

If the link does not work then search for MK2 GENUINE BT Openreach vDSL Broadband Faceplate Filter for ADSL

John

oldboy
    Free Member

To be honest, John, I hadn’t seen that particular BT product before. The ADSL filtered faceplate I fitted was this, which plugs directly into the test socket on my BT NTE5 and had therefore no need to interfere with the BT side of the fitting.

http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php

JohnB
    Free Member

Old boy,

The one I have used plugs straight into the test socket too with no need to alter any of the BT side. It is a bit like a sandwich plate that goes between the BT part end the removable front plate.

John

oldboy
    Free Member

OK John, I understand, but still think the one you have must be faulty. Mine gave a marginal improvement in broadband speed over the ASDL dongle it replaced.

JohnB
    Free Member

I have tried 2 filtered face plates and they both give the same results, so unless both are faulty.

I will try another one and see what happens.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Ok, you’ve tried two faceplates and a seperate microfilter and only the separate microfilter gives decent speeds? I wouldn’t expect there to be any significant difference in speeds between different filters (assuming they are not faulty).

How are you measuring the speeds? Are you running a speedtest or are you looking at the actual sync rate in the router?

JohnB
    Free Member

Looking at the sync rates of the router in the router settings. They match the speed tests too.

GrahamS

Looking at the sync rates of the router in the router settings.

I think that if you keep changing equipment and rebooting the router then it can take a while to settle back down to its optimal rate. (As it negotiates the sync rate over a period of time).

For instant feedback what you are really interested in is how good the signal on the line is (Line Attenuation and Signal-To-Noise margin). Your router should be able to tell you this.

See http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

For comparison my home ADSL router (which syncs at the max 8128kbps) reports the following line stats:

Line Attenuation: 4.0dB down / 2.5dB up (lower=better)
    Noise Margin: 9.8dB down / 23.0 dB up (higher=better)

bigyinn
    Free Member

Noise margin should be between 6dB and 15dB ideally, a few dB either way is ok though.
    Too low and it will be fast but unstable, too high and it will be slow but stable.
    A good indicator of what your line can support is to go to sam knows, bung in your line number and postcode and see what speeds the line can support.
    Sam Knows

JohnB
    Free Member

Re Sync Rate: Even if I swap around the download speeds are around 1mb with the filtered faceplate and 4.5mb with the micro filter. I then swao back and they are similar.

From the router settings:
    ADSL LineStats:
    4.5 mb download speed:
    Downstream 4590 kbps
    Upstream 888 kbps
    Noise margin Down 6.3db / UP 9.7db
    Line attenuation Down 46.5 db / up 28.4 db
    Output power Down 0 / up 12.8 db

1.00mb down load speed
    Downstream 1386 kbps
    Upstream 888 kbps
    Noise margin Down 7.5 db / UP 8.7db
    Line attenuation Down 45 db / up 28.2 db
    Output power Down 0 / up 12.9 db

My line attenuation seems high. What does that mean?

I am going to try a different filtered face plate and see what happens.

GrahamS

My line attenuation seems high. What does that mean?

It probably means you are some distance from the exchange and/or you are connected to it by less-than-perfect phone lines (as many folk are).

The Kitz speed calculator here reckons you should still sync at roughly 6816kbps with a 46.5dB down attenuation.

Quick point: when you change between faceplate and micro-filter, do you power off the router and leave it a minute or two?

Noise margin should be between 6dB and 15dB ideally, a few dB either way is ok though.
    Too low and it will be fast but unstable, too high and it will be slow but stable.

Yep. Default Target SNR is usually 6dB.

JohnB
    Free Member

Quick point: when you change between faceplate and micro-filter, do you power off the router and leave it a minute or two?

No. But I do reset it afterwards.

Yes we are a fair way from the local exchange and BT reckon we should have a download speed of about 4.5mb/sec.

GrahamS

No. But I do reset it afterwards.

Try actually powering it off at the wall whilst changing hardware and leaving it off for a few minutes before turning it back on.

Could just be voodoo but I think that may encourage it do a fresh measurement of attenuation etc.

Conversely if you start pulling out cables while it is still on then (depending how it calculates the average) it might record that as a huge increase in attenuation and mess up your stats.

JohnB
    Free Member

Tried turning the router off then swapping things and same result.

I am going to try a different style of filter plate and see what happens.

JohnB
    Free Member

Tried a Clarity faceplate with ADSL and telephone socket and the same result down to 1mb.

It seems as soon as a filter goes on the download speed drops.

Cougar

Take a photo.

JohnB
    Free Member

This is what I am doing / using http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm

I have my master socket with the above filter plate. The only thing I have connected is the modem.

There is no extension wiring or for these tests telephone connected.

My modem is a BT home hub 2.0

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sorry no photos as on a tablet and not sure how to get them on.
    I will try to post some from my computer.

oldboy
    Free Member

John, you are doing exactly as I did. You haven’t interfered with the BT line into the NTE5 backplate and have no extension wiring connected. No wonder you are baffled, because I sure am!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Broadband Filtered Face Plate Problem’ is closed to new replies.