Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Broadband extenders…..powerline adapters
  • breninbeener

I have just had BT Infinity after many years of super slow broadband.

My deal came with a YOUVIEW box. To link this to my tv I need broadband extenders….I know nothing about these items. Please can somebody recommend me a pair that will do the job?

scaredypants

These will do it … as would several others

you need 2 – 1 for the youview and 1 connected to the router

Power pass-through is handy unless you have loads of plug sockets

You only need 1 ethernet port in each extender, but these have 2 and some have up to 4

500mb is plenty for TV; 200 would probably work also (these are max speeds and depends a bit on your wiring)

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive had difficulty with 200Mbs.

Id recomend 500Mbs and for ease of use, Ive found that the BT branded system is the best and most stable.

While youre at it, get one with a WiFi repeater in it

http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-wi-fi-home-hotspot-500-kit-9BRT.html

P20

We’re using TP LINK ones from Broadbandbuyer.co.uk. They’ve been excellent. Bluray, computer and Internet radio in the garage are all connected with them.

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

I’m using Devolo 1200+ series, I have four of them around the house and am really impressed.

My previous house was Cat6 wired throughout so got used to that, since moving in July I’ve been struggling with some out TP Link ones which weren’t the best. Upgraded last week to the 1200+ mb/s and getting a good transfer rate throughout, enough to stream mkv’s rips of bluerays to each TV from my NAS, along with audio throughout and the house is now saturated with WiFi that actually works rather than extending Wifi over the air.

I am seeing 400mb/s pass through on the links which is enough, although houses with older wiring would be slower obviously.

Depends how much you want to spend, but if you are doing high bandwidth about the house, get as good as possible and forget about them as they’ll just work.

Still have stupidly slow BB thanks to BT refusing to ugrade my cap to infinity, but thats another story.

tiggs121
    Free Member

I have TD-Link adapters – they work well.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Another vote for TP-Link. You can use the cheaper (£25-ish) ethernet only ones as you wire the YouView box in with a cable. You don’t want a WiFi extender (£75) so don’t get sold one.

@Stoner – that’s a very expensive solution which the OP might not even need (ie WiFi extender)

GrahamS

I’m currently holding out for the new TP-Link AV2 1000 kit which is due out… errr… ”second quarter of 2014″ 😀

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/17676-tp-link-tl-pa8010kit/

GrahamS

Pretty sure you caould also just use a wifi dongle with the YouView box?

I use one on my (non-YouView) Humax box to get iPlayer etc

sharkbait
    Free Member

500mb is plenty for TV; 200 would probably work also (these are max speeds and depends a bit on your wiring)

Given that fibre maxes out at 70mbps 200 will be plenty.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Broadband extenders…..powerline adapters’ is closed to new replies.